Tahoe trucker

WI FI hotspot info please

We are staying at a RV park for 6 months. Last year I paid $40.00 per month for Charter Spectrum service. It interfered horribly with the RV parks free cable TV service ironically thru Charter Spectrum ( I had them out 3 times to make the service compatible and they couldn't fix it) I want to connect to a WIFI hotspot with my MAC laptop for simple internet service on a secured connection. The RV park uses Verizon in the office. They say AT&T does not work. I have an Android Tracfone.  The park is Sky Valley Resort in California. The closet town is either Desert Hot Springs or Sun City.Thank you ahead of time for the info

Edited by Tahoe trucker

Can your Tracfone be used as a hotspot? Is it Verizon or ATT? If Verizon just upgrade your Tracfone plan to more data and use that as your wifi.

With all due respect, Tracfone is primarily sold as a phone to talk and text on, rather than one to be used as a data connection.  The basic plans as shown on its website are for data allowances of 1-2 GB/mo which would probably be insufficient for daily use of your laptop.

I think your options would be to get a Verizon phone with a data plan you can live with or to get Spectrum to do its job and get you connected properly.  There's absolutely no reason why a Spectrum data line should interfere with the park's free TV.  Spectrum ought to be able to give you a wifi router that sits in you storage bay that is totally separate from whatever system connects to your TV.  

IMO a properly functioning Spectrum internet connection will be faster and less costly than anything you can get from Verizon.

docj, I know my tracfone was useless on this..I just wanted let folks know what I had as far as a phone. I totally agree with you as far as Spectrum. I can try again this year, but after having them out 3 times and the park tech working on their end with the TV I threw my hands up. Then everyone suggested a "Hotspot". Thank you, very much

I didn't know that about Tracfone, never had one. I would  get either a hot spot, a booster so you can pick up the wifi signal from the office or get a Verizon MVNO phone for  the summer, then you can turn it off after the summer.

Our Tracfone/Verizon LG smartphones do work well with the hotspot feature enabled, but as Joel said, the meager data included with the air cards is not adequate for all but the most basic functions on the Internet. Additional data is available at $10/GB, making anything like streaming pretty costly. We use both AT&T and Verizon standalone hotspots with unlimited data plans for our Internet services.