DIrect TV DNS and Local Channels Required More Hardware?

Direct TV agreed a week ago to give me local channels in Fort Wayne IN where I am for a month because they have not been able to get the DNS network channels working (I have an existing waiver on file). I have a Winegard 9005 auto search unit with an older DTV HD equipment suite (HR24 DVR and on add'l HD Receiver). I then noticed no "asterisk" on Ch 119 (no lock-on?) and..no locals or DNS coming up. So I assumed maybe the 119 problem caused no Local and DNS. So I called DTV today to check and the tech spt guy said I needed an MPEG HD box to get locals where I am (??!!) and then said I needed the same box to get DNS channels in the 389-399 range. I have talked to at least 20 DTV techs in the past 2 weeks and nobody (including a supervisor) said anything about additional hardware. I had Locals when I reactivated my sytem 2 weeks ago in Custer SD so am mystified.

Is this DTV guy pulling my chain or do I really need more hardware to get Locals and DNS?

Thanks,

Hank
SKP 67414
2005 Mandalay DP
On the road in Fort Wayne IN

Hank & Joyce

2019 Phoenix Cruiser 3100

2012 Honda CRV

We don't get locals, have DNS instead and just use OTA for the locals. The 389-399 is DNS(E and W) and we have never had anything more than a dish and a receiver(HR22 and HR24,now Genie). Did you talk to the DNS area of Directv or just some CSC? Some CSC's know what they are doing but most don't.

Does anyone happen to know which satellites are used for the DNS feeds? Winegard told me today that my locals come through on Satellite 119 (which I am apparently having blockage problems with). They did not know the satellite(s) for DNS and I am tired of talking to DTV (at least for now..).

Thanks,

Hank
SKP 67414

Hank & Joyce

2012 Honda CRV

DNS/Locals E. Coast

DNS/Locals W. Coast

You may have the Winegard Trav'ler 3005 not a 9005
The 3005 should have no trouble getting the DNS from both coast with a HR24

Newer receivers like the Genies would need a conversion of the 3005 to a SWM.
Not hard to do. I did that to mine.

In the HR24 are you getting a strong signal(in the 80's) on the 99 & 103?

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Although there's a lot of talk on the RV forums about "the end of SD programming on DirecTV" coming in 2019, the people who frequent the DBS (direct broadcast satellite) forums aren't so sure.

I've just read through quite a few pages on the "dbstalk.com" community forum and the consensus there is that only MPEG2 SD programming will be discontinued but MPEG4 SD will continue. The reason why people are currently getting letters about needing to upgrade their equipment is, according to that forum, because their MPEG2 local channels are being discontinued and the only locals they will have available will be in HD on the 99 and 103 satellites. There are already quite a few smaller cities that only have their locals on HD so this wouldn't be all that novel a change. It appears that DirecTV is prepared to give SD subscribers HD services at no extra charge for at least some period of time so they can continue to receive their local channels.

The assumption on the DBS forum is that there may well still be MPEG4 SD duplicates available on the 101 satellite but that's still speculative. Officially, nothing has been announced regarding the Ku-band transponders on the 101 satellite.

Don't forget that the original post by Solid Signal that started all this speculation simply stated that MPEG2 programming would end in 2019; nowhere did it say that all SD programming would cease.

The bottom line is don't throw away your equipment until everyone better understand the changes that are coming.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

For Biker 56 - Thanks for feedback. I am getting 100 on 99 "s" (Spot Beam) , 87 on 99ca and "N/A" on 99cb. I get 0 on 103 "s", N/A on 103ca and 0 on 103cb.

Winegard Tech Spt told me yesterday all my locals should be on satellite 119. They always were including 2 weeks ago in Custer SD when I re-activated my service at our house. Some discussion here suggests locals in Fort Wayne might be on 99/103. My Traveler (yes it is an SK3005) is set up for 101, 110 and 119.  If I could get DNS service (still waiting after 2 weeks) I wouldn't care about locals.

One side issue - when Traveler was installed in 2011 they only used 3 of the 4 cables; exact reason escapes me but we never had a problem. 

When we get home next month I plan to do the SWM upgrade, put on a new 4-line cable bundle (I have the parts already) and clean up the wiring rats nest in our electronics compartment. We have a new Genie system in the house (different account..complicated) so plan is to cancel MH account and just move the Genie back and forth as needed.

I will re-assess Locals when we get back on the road and continue to bug DTV about what happened to my DNS.

Thanks to all,

Hank
SKP 67414
2005 Mandalay DP
2012 Honda CRV

Hank & Joyce

2012 Honda CRV

Since you day you have a waiver for DNS it should be  available by now. When I call it I have the CSC wait until I see the DNS on my TV. I don't think the CSC knew what DNS is and messed everything up. I have had this happen a couple of times. Give them a call  and ask for the DNS(Distant Network Service) area, confirm you have them on the line.

Tegarding your sat strengthm, not knowing anything about your setup. Sounds like your skew might be off.

When I called to re-activate DNS 11 days ago I was told if I had a suspension in force for more than 30 days (which I did) I had to submit a new waiver. When I pushed back by saying I had a new waiver from 2015 and nobody said anything about it lapsing, they agreed to electronically submit to the networks and it would take "1-2 days" (since changed to "5-8 days" and told today..."up to 45 days"!). They also said they would activate local channels in my area (Fort Wayne) in the meantime.  Lack of Locals on 119 is a separate subject..maybe a spot beam issue. I have satellite access on 101, 110, but not 119 right now (not properly locked on per Winegard Traveler readout) so cannot be sure until we move again in a couple weeks. I will bug DTV again about the DNS.

Hank
SKP67414
2005 Mandalay DP
2012 Honda CRV

Hank & Joyce

2012 Honda CRV

A post from Nov 2016 on the Direct TV Forum (below) says I have to have an RV account to get DNS. Sounds like my plan to use my house Genie in the RV on future trips might not work. I have been told DTV does not care if I use the Genie on the road but I assume would balk if I tried the DNS.

I have had an HD DVR since 2011, have an HD TV, have been charged over the years for HD service by DTV and have an HD-looking picture on my TV.  I understand the reasoning why I should only be getting SD bu am pretty sure I have HD ob my main TV (my 2nd TV is still an old unit so still getting SD on there).

"In order to get DNS you have to have a separate RV account. You can order a HDDVR/HXX receiver from DTV or from online retailers. The only HD dish is the Winegrard Travler stationary dish that is self folding and aiming unless you have $8 grand for an Intellian S6HD in motion for boats, all others are SD only and depending on the receivers you may need a SWM8 module and its 29v power inserter."

You are right about just submitting the waiver - I will do that now and get it back on the books whether or not I upgrade to SWM/Genie.

Hank
SKP 67414
2005 Mandalay DP

Hank & Joyce

2012 Honda CRV

We went full time in Sept from an S&B. Moved the Genie to the RV. I just looked at my account and the account number is the same and no where does it say it is an RV account. I don't recall any discussion of an RV account though I have heard of them in the past. We have the old HR24 in storage if we ever need it.

As per my previous reply, Ft Wayne, Ind. locals are on DirecTV sat 99s transponder 19 and satellite 103s transponder 2.  

99s transponder 19

CW ch 14  MNT ch 34

103s transponder 2

WANE CBS ch 15  WPTA ch 21 ABC  WISE ch 33 NBC  WFWA ch 39 PBS  WFFT ch 55 FOX

If you are in Ft Wayne you should get these with your over the air antenna too.

• 3 weeks later...

Last Update - I moved the coach to a "better" area in same RV park and immediately got locals (after one more call to DTV). Apparently it was satellite 119 that was the problem. BTW DTV guy said I could get locals at any location until my DNS reactivates - first time they offered that.

Hank
SKP 67414
In sunny and warm Fort Wayne, Indiana

Hank & Joyce

2012 Honda CRV

Archived