rbertalotto

Diesel to Gas? Yes/No??

52 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

And this my friend is what is wrong with our country today.  If someone reads something then it is 100% true with no variable or possibility of being wrong or fake.  

Wind tunnel test, yea right.  I guess if you were always driving in those perfect conditions in an unloaded test vehicle and not towing anything then that could be a great guideline to follow.   Some things need to be taken with the "grain of salt" or dismissed altogether.

Exactly, do what you want with the information.  Did you even read the links?  Do a search yourself, you'll get lot's of test results, some of them wind tunnels and others are real time road tests.  Put as much credibility in them as you want.  You're a grown man.

"This is what's wrong with our country"?  Really Joe?

Don't care to read all your posted links.  Don't care what a group of college kids came up with in a study.  Some folks put 100% credibility in that sort of thing, then there are other folks, like me, that have actually owned and worked out of pickup trucks their whole life and done their own experiments.  

Northwestern did a study years ago.  The kids carefully visited dozens of Chicago area restaurants and collected two water samples from each business.  One sample was from the toilets and one from served drinking water.  They found that in most cases the toilet water was cleaner.   So now I fully expect you to NEVER NEVER consume water served in any restaurant again, or for that matter never to eat any food in a restaurant that could have been washed or prepared by using water.

Then there was another study conducted by...........

23 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

Don't care to read all your posted links.  Don't care what a group of college kids came up with in a study.  Some folks put 100% credibility in that sort of thing, then there are other folks, like me, that have actually owned and worked out of pickup trucks their whole life and done their own experiments.  

That's what I thought, you didn't read the links.  None of them had anything to do with college kids or wind tunnel tests.

The first link was to a study done by a group of aerodynamic engineers who did real world studies.  The second one was from Mythbusters who also did a real world test in the desert with pickups equipped similarly except with tailgate down or up, bed covers or not.

The third link was from a GM Insiders forum quoting results of a study done by the National Research Center.  And, the last link is to a study done by Consumer Reports, who some people put a lot of faith in.  I'm not a big fan of them.

I, too am skeptical of studies done in labs and such.  I much prefer to use my own experience as a reference.  I've driven nothing but pickups for the past 45 years.  I'm one of those people who keeps track of every mile I drive and every gallon of fuel I use in a little book in the glove compartment.  I've had bed covers, camper tops, driven with the tailgate up, down, and removed at various times during that period.  I've never noticed any appreciable difference in mpg between any of those situations. 

4 hours ago, chirakawa said:

I, too am skeptical of studies done in labs and such.  I much prefer to use my own experience as a reference. 

There are those who prefer to believe in things as they have always done and to ignore the facts when they conflict with familiar beliefs, whether myths or not. Since it really doesn't harm me, I just smile and accept reality while leaving others to do whatever makes them happy. When it comes to my favorite myth (and I probably have at least one), please don't bother me with proof.  :P

Edited by Kirk Wood

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, rbertalotto said:

Here’s the situation. I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4, with 5.9 diesel, 193,000 miles. Love the truck, but just not comfortable trusting it on long tours. I simply want a new truck...

Have you decided on your truck?