'86 Holiday Rambler class A questions

shooter51

I was just offered a 33 foot, 1986 Holiday rambler coach, in running, well cared for, condition for a bargin basement price. What should I know before I jump off the cliff? It's gas powered (454 GM/turbo 400)

Help me figure out what to do.

Thanks, Paul

If it turns $$$$$$$ dollars into smoke and noise, I'm there.

Water leaks are the enemy of the RV.  Check it thoroughly for any water intrusion.

The 454 GM engine is a strong engine if cared for.  a 1986 will be carburetor controlled and not fuel injected.  The "Quadra-suck" can be difficult to adjust properly.  The 454 was prone to cracking the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds.  Later they offered a split manifold that was not prone to cracking.  I put steel headers on my 1987 chassis.  Don't expect more than about 8 MPG at65 mph

It is on a P30 chassis and is not know to be the best handling.  Most had air bags inside the front coil springs and will leak.  Replace them with bags from Air Lift, not OEM.

Take it out on the highway and see how it drives.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We had a 1987 Allegro on the P-30 chassis and it served well. I would be very careful about overloading as they have only 16,000# GVWR if the builder has not added a tag axle. It is also pretty common for them to have weak springs all around at that age so you may need airbags on all 4 corners. The P-30 of that era also had issues with vapor locking if there was not an auxiliary fuel pump located back at the tank as the OEM pump is on the engine. It was also quite common for them to have "hot start" issues which means the starter would not work when the engine was hot due to the exhaust being too close to the starter motor. If it doesn't have a heat shield on the starter, I would add one. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks very much for the reply. As I spend more time crawling around the rig, I'm surprised by a few things.

The shore power hook up is only 30 amp, 2 roof air's, 6.5 Onan genset, but only 30 amp hook up, Strange? The refrigerator is gone, no back story, has hydraulic levelers that work. The 454 was replaced, with a junkyard take out that was new enough to be fuel injected, but the carb and intake manifold was retained, exhaust manifolds look to be later vintage cast steel, not the divided style though. Windshield halves are showing about an inch of white fogging on the lower and outside edges. Is this enough to require replacement?

OK, that's enough silly questions for now, Keep them cards and letters coming...

Thanks, Paul 

If you buy this MH just plan on spending some $$$ upgrading (a replacement frig usually is around $2K).

It also depends on what type of traveling/camping you are planning.  If you want to go to High end campgrounds

a lot of them have 10 year age restrictions.  If not and you like state parks and simpler camping than go for it.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply's, as it turns out the rig was sold to a guy wanting to put it on a hunting lease. I had just done the math and was about to turn it down, anyway. Thanks again for the input and insight. I think I dodged a bullet.

Paul

Archived