Air Compressor Questions

Dennis M

My air is leaking down fairly quickly, going to take it in for an overall check shortly, but when I shut down I can hear what sounds like a high volume, low pressure air leak in the area of the compressor. More of a 'whoosh' than a 'hiss' sound. Maybe internal leakage in the compressor?

Which produces three questions: can the air compressor be rebuilt? Is there a rebuild kit? And, if so, can a reasonably competent mechanic do it himself? I was ASE certified Master on cars many moons ago, but HDTs are a completely different animal!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

sounds like you lost a reed or unloader is hanging open.  Kits are cheap & easy.

http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/products_1/compressorsgovernors_1/ba921servicedatasheet.pdf

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

3 hours ago, Dennis M said:

Which produces three questions: can the air compressor be rebuilt? Is there a rebuild kit? And, if so, can a reasonably competent mechanic do it himself? I was ASE certified Master on cars many moons ago, but HDTs are a completely different animal!

Naw - you just need a bigger hammer and wrench than you do with a car.

I replaced my compressor a couple of years ago by myself.  I did not have time to do a rebuild but getting it off is not difficult.  You will need to drain and capture coolant.  Not sure on your engine but I needed new compressor coolant hoses and "O" rings when I put the new one on.  Also, the compressor is heavy - I had trouble getting it back into position by myself.  A second strong arm would have been appreciated for that part.  With time to get the right rebuild parts and having a big workbench in a clean area, I would not hesitate to undertake an overhaul.  With your background as an ASE Master your KSA's are better than mine so you should be fine.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

If my memory  serves me right, I believe you should have a one way check valve between the compressor and the wet tank.  If it is working correctly the air should not be able to bleed back to the compressor.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Archived