Best size airstream.

Maumu

We are a military family and wanting to purchase and live stationary in an rv for the next 3 years. We were thinking about an Airstream. We have a 15 lb and 40 lb dog. At the end of the 3 years we are looking at using the rv for adventure trips across the US. We are not looking to buy new. Wondering the differences in traveling with a 25 or 32 foot????? We both have full time jobs. Any info would be appreciated.

I don't think you will be able to tell much difference going down the road or even finding a parking spot. But with a couple of adults and 55 pounds of dogs, I believe those extra 7 feet will really be appreciated after 2 or 3 days of rainy weather. I would have to study the specs to see if the weight difference would put you into a different class of tow vehicle.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

We started out with a 25' Airstream and spent 6 months in it before deciding that we needed something bigger. And we only have a 18lb Boston Terrier. Airstream is a nice, well built unit. The 25' will let you get in to Nat'l Parks, the 34 will not. Also, with a 25' you can tow comfortably with a F 150 or equivalent, going longer is going to result in a need for a larger truck 3/4 at least. An Airstream has almost no storage space, so this has to be a consideration for you, we worked around this by getting a pickup body cover and using our pickup as our storage. Check out Watsonswander blog - this couple is living in a 25' Airstream, perhaps you can pick up some bits of info from them. You are facing a lot of the decisions that we did a couple of years back, for us, going on the road full time, necessitated giving up the airstream and going to a 5th Wheel which is much more liveable if you are doing it full time. Good luck with your choices.

Rick & Mary Sorensen

Molly - Boston Terrier

2016 Ford F350 DRW 6.8 L diesel

2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSDB3

Full Timers w/ SD Residency

Welcome to the Escapee forums! It is always great to have a new member join but we particularly like members of the military and veterans. There many of us who are veterans, and we salute you!

Like Newt, I consider the Airstream to have some great features for serious travels, but too little storage for permanent living. We have owned several RVs over the years but even though we considered the Airstream twice, be never bought one. In addition to the lack of storage, they also lack space because they do not have any slides and they are one of the highest price RVs on the market. I think that if you compare the prices and what you get inside between the Airstream and some other brands, you may be shocked by the differences.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome, Maumu. Check out airforums.com for more information. We are full-timers with one cat. We're currently in a 40' motorhome, but it is for sale and we'll go to a 34' Airstream TT. Nothing wrong with the Foretravel, but our circumstances have changed and a towable is now the better choice for us.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

We, too, had considered an Airstream travel trailer at one time, but decided against it because of the lack of storage.

Airstream used to have slides on some of the longer models, but the slide added a significant amount of weight and reduced the CCC. I don't know if Airstream is still making travel trailers with slides.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Not as far as I know. As Linda said, the slides add weight and reduce CCC. The slides weren't very popular, which is why they aren't being produced. It might be possible to get a special-order coach with a slide, since the factory has everything they need to do so.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

If you visit the Airstream manufacturer's website, you will find no models that include a slide. I find no indication of any custom versions, but since the price ranges from $44,000 for the small trailer of 20' or less up to the 33' model at $146,000, I rather doubt that many of them would sell at the prices it would make them.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you for serving!

I see the very cool retro looking Airstreams, and always smile. I agree that you should do some checking on both livability and storage for your clan. I've always seen the Airstream's as being more of a single or couples unit:)! And, Airstreams are pricey.

A Fiver would probably five you the largest combination living and storage space, and are available in from entry level to rolling high end estates:)!

Reading of the Fiver section here, and say on IRV2.Com, will provide lots of background info for you.

Another option I've seen military families do, especially if they're going to be stable in areas for longer periods of time, is purchase a Park Model. Arrange for a monthly space rental, and pay to have the unit moved when they relocate to a different area. The park models can be found with MB, second bedroom, and living/kitchen areas. I do not know much about these units, but one I recall seeing is the Salem Villa Classic.

Best to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived