Texas Class A Non-CDL

harleyrk5510

Moderator, if I have put this in the wrong place, my apologies. I figured these folks would probably have the most exposure to this topic. I am interested in any information concerning obtaining a Class A Non-CDL from the Livingston Tx Dl office. In speaking with a rep on the ph he stated only Sec 14 in the CDL handbook needs to be studied....? Also any information on the driving test etc is appreciated....i.e. parallel parking etc. How soon must the driving test be taken in relation to the written etc etc.....Thanks for any input.

Do a search and you'll find more info than you can read in a night. !!!!!!

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

When I upgraded to a class "A" non-commercial a couple of years ago in Midland. I took the driving test immediately after passing the written test.

The driving test consisted of driving a couple of miles, making both right and left turns, answering a couple of verbal questions about air pressure and PARALLEL PARKING the rig.

ShortyO

If you take the test in Livingston you probably will not be asked to parallel park. Back straight - yes. But I know of no one that has had to parallel park.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I am in Collin County and had to parallel park, sort of. It was more like aim for the curb just don't hit it. I had all the space in the world I needed, not like when I first got my license and you had to park between 2 poles. As I was straightening the rig out after backing in the tester asked me why I was still moving. Told her so I can get closer to the curb. She asked why because I already passed but I was still over 2 feet from the curb. Did not argue and just rolled with her depth perception issue.

Honestly the test is not a big deal. Just the thought of having to test again is since for most of us it has been many years since the last time we had too. I was told by the tester, the test was more about operating the vehicle comfortably and safely and not the little details they would fail you on way back when.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I got my Class A in NC, Written test same as CDL, driving test same day with rig half hour around town and back in to parking space, not too hard, just stressful. Good Luck, the sailor

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

Archived