Plastic Welding

gs311

Anyone ever used this product? If it works it would have many uses in our rigs. Some uses shown on u-tube.

amazon.com/Bondic®-Starter-Plastic-Anything-Situations/dp/B00QU5M4MG

Gene and Jane

05FL-Century 10 speed Manual

2013 37ft Forest River--Columbus

My shop had one years ago. There are different kinds of plastic, and several different sticks, you have to test & see which one adheres the best. Advances in chemical bonding have taken over.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

I have used a similar one to repair a hole in my gray tank. Like Sibernut said there are many different kinds of plastic and you do need to test for each one. I was able to use a universal plastic filler and it worked just great.

I paid a lot of money for what basically looks like an old iron from a Woodburning kit.

The Bondic kit looks like it uses one agent to weld onto most anything. Kit is cheap enough for me to get and try it. Was just hoping someone had already tried.

Gene and Jane

05FL-Century 10 speed Manual

2013 37ft Forest River--Columbus

One of my sisters and her husband own/operate a canoe/kayak livery with over 1000 boats, most of them plastic. They use a similar unit to repair damaged plastic boats. They've been doing it for several years, so it must be working for them.

I have repaired HDPE using a propane torch and a hammer as a soldering iron. Similar to soldering sheet metal. You can fix anything if you try hard enough. ;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

My shop had one years ago. There are different kinds of plastic, and several different sticks, you have to test & see which one adheres the best. Advances in chemical bonding have taken over.

There are only two kinds of plastic that you should use this on, polyethylene or polypropylene. The rest of the plastics are a lot easier to solvent bond (ABS, Acrylic, ABS, PVC, Polystyrene, etc) or if it is a thermoset like Bakelite, something like epoxy or crazy glue work well.

Most all of your holding tanks are going to be HDPE (High Density PolyEthylene) so those are air weldable, but these tools are tricky to master, so get some scrap about the same thickness as the tank to practice. With these welders, too cool and you don't get a good weld, too hot and you cause more damage than you fix.

Archived