• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#161 RoadScribe

RoadScribe

• Validated Members
  • 6 posts
  • SKP#:1564

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:00 AM

SCC has been suggested to me by other full timer's. I recently retired from home health nursing and this kind of work is pretty similar.
But, as a single female camper, can I also be trained to work with SCC?
If so can you direct me to this?

Thanks, RoadScribe

#162 Calvin R

Calvin R

• Validated Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:53 AM

I have yet to hear back from Sherm at Southern Cross. This week, I will go ahead and apply, then call again. This is my wife's favorite idea. I like the idea too, but I'm not used to dealing with lack of response.

#163 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

Just an Update on this year surveying. Right now I'm just starting a job in Lamar, Co, after working on a Survey in Canon City, Co. This survey and Canon City are for ATMOS Energey. The survey required Two techs. Canon City took about 10 days, Then we moved to Lamar, which will also consist of several small town in the area. I'll stay here until about the middle of May, then move to Texas, for Surveys in Breckenridge, Mineral Well and Weatherford area. Larry the tech I'm working with will finish Lamar and move to Ulyssey, Ks and work in the towns of Johnson and Syracuse. Then on too who knows where.

Southern Cross is still in need of workers

Bob

#164 bobsea43

bobsea43

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 925 posts
  • SKP#:107288

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

I will add my endorsement to the Sacramento and north area. We lived there for a couple of years (againest our desires) but enjoyed it. Looking forward to going back to visit. Just to the west the mountains and foothills are beautiful!! Not far to the coast and north of San Fran is beautiful! However, best to be out of there by mid-July as it gets really hot (HOT) and dry!! Enjoy!

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.1
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited  (Oscar)
Our FT Blog is at this link

#165 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:58 PM

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.
No I do not not know him. How the AR job going.

Currenlty I'm at home in the Rio Grande valley (mission) waiting for assignment. I told Gene I would do small jobs for him this winter, if the were close to me and I could make it home on weekend. usally I take the winter off , but they are short handed the winter.

Hope to work with you also,
Bob

#166 Enchalay

Enchalay

• Validated Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:23 PM

Bob,
I am very close to retiring from my current job. Health insurance is the big hang up. What does Southern Cross offer? I deal with a usually very unhappy public every day, so PR and public contact is a piece of cake!
1996 Ford F250 Western Hauler
7.3 Powerstroke
BTS E4OD
Gone to a collector
"Two Story T-bird"
1988 Ford CL9000
Cummins NTC 400
15 speed Roadranger

http://community.web...m/user/enchalay

#167 jwalker

jwalker

• Validated Members
  • 106 posts
  • SKP#:98704

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

Bob,
If you can get hold of Fred, tell him to call me on my personal phone. I do not carry my company phone with me after hours or on the weekends.

Pers # is 865-388-7400 Tell him to call after 7pm Central Time.

I'll try to remember to keep the co. phone with me this weekend anyway, just in case he calls on it.
jwalker
Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee
Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

#168 jwalker

jwalker

• Validated Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

Jim and Lois...

I can concur with what Bob said. Gene would not know about all the jobs that might be coming up in the future. He is only one of the supervisors SCC has through out the US. But he is a very good person to talk to in the interim as he can get you the forms you need and get the ball rolling for you. In fact, if you get hired on, depending on where you are needed most, you may not even be working for him. Each SCC field supervisor handles a different geograghical area.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing you need to do if you decide to come on board is to CLEARLY COMMUNICATE your wants and needs and make sure everyone understands each other.

SCC wants to keep good workers. If you do a good job for them, they will do their best to accommodate you.

As a general rule of thumb, surveys are not done up north in the winter months because the you can not survey effectively in frozen ground. I have heard of a few jobs they have up north that have been done during the winter but they are few and far between.
jwalker

#169 shergry

shergry

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts
  • SKP#:#55719

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:29 AM

jwalker,
Is the Paul you refer to in Round Rock, TX area? If so, DH is in week 4 and really enjoying the job. As far, as Bham well, it is a muggy hot, kinda like it can get in TX. The only thing I did not like about Bham was the night tornados. Being from the midwest, KS; area most tornados happened before dark. But as far as the amenities (?) Bham had quite a few stores, etc. Never went hungery, probably should have though Posted Image Posted Image.
This job fits in perfectly with our chosen lifestyle. And the people are really great, probably the first time in a long time can really say working for someone else is good. We still have our ice cream trailer on the side, extra income. And Gene and SCC are ok with this, GREEEAAAT!
Well gotta go, hope to be reading from fellow gas surveyor's Posted Image.
Gary and Sheryl Briggs
3 Cairn Terriers
2007 Mobile Suite SB3
F450 Lariat Turbo Diesel 4X4

#170 WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ

• Validated Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:27 PM

I just hate to let this thread "die out". My wife and I have been discussing this type work and we may very well give this company a try when we get everything settled. I just retired in August at 52 so we can still do this type work with no problems. We are best friends and I think we could make a great team doing this.
Dan & Teri Gregg
WD0AFQ

GMC Classic, Class A/Vibe GT
http://www.danandteri.blogspot.com

#171 Jim and Lois Nichols

Jim and Lois Nichols

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:10 AM

jwalker,

Thanks again for the last post. A question came up and we were wondering if you could tell us, we understand the hourly pay, and how the vehicle pay is according to the number of personal vehicles you are using. I have read about the per diem of around $200 a week and the .64 a mile travel pay, if you are both working as technicians, (either leap frogging or walking different sections), do you both receive the per diem and travel pay between jobs?

#172 walesmaven

walesmaven

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • SKP#:Life Member #85389

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:10 PM

Bob,
Can you tell us a little more about the nature of the work? What is "a day in the life of" like?
Lifting anything heavy? Climbing to any heights or going underground? Is a truck required?

Thanks, Cilla
2001.5 Discovery 37U, DP "Igor"
2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo "Miss Molly"
Class of 2007 (Delayed!)
Life Member SKP#85389

#173 Jim/Alona

Jim/Alona

• Validated Members
  • 482 posts
  • SKP#:103929

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:40 PM

Bob, what about winter work? We are in a position now until october but will be looking for work for the winter. I know that you work parttime in the summer I think, do they have parttime work for the winters? Thanks!
Jim & Alona traveling with River, Rocky & Indy.
Our home, a 33' 1988 Southwind which we love!

http://arjrontheroad.blogspot.com
http://gatewatchers.blogspot.com

#174 Jim and Lois Nichols

Jim and Lois Nichols

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

Thank you both for such a great and quick reply.
We are in South Dakota now comitted until Oct 16th, we will call Gene and see what we can work out.
We will let you know, thanks again.
Sincerely,
Jim and Lois

#175 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:39 PM

Do not make along comitment to a park, before you find out where your trainer works. Stay at Jones for at least a day or two, it the closes to norcross office.

Your trainer may be in town or out of towm. When I trained it was downtown Altanta, and I stay nearly all most 20 miles away from norcross. On rainy days classes where held at norcross, but most if not all training is on the job now adays with little class room time.Talk to Cullen, when you get there.

Bob

#176 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:05 PM

They have winter jobs, when you get ready let me known.

Bob

#177 jwalker

jwalker

• Validated Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

[quote]Give Gena a call and he will send you the paperwork you need to fill out to get things started.
jwalker

#178 Guest_GrayEagle_*

Guest_GrayEagle_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:16 AM

[quote]You are presently in a beautiful area, if as you say, you can just go about 60 miles east. Think you will find the area north of Sacramento to be more scenic and pleasant.

#179 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:26 PM

Gary

My hourly pay is 8.70, with time and a half for over time. I pay taxes only on my hourly pay.

Currently I'm working 50 hour weekd (my choice) and my take home is around 750.00

Bob

#180 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:11 PM

Where you park your car, you have to walk back to it. this week I covered 125,900 ft. That what I turned in to the gas company. So I walker about 28 miles, since this is how it done in Breckenridge, Tx. Sometimes I had the gas company pick me up. General rule of thumb is, what footage u turnin each week, double your walk for the week.

Bob