Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

rearnold

Ron - have you ever tried a Segway? Those things are amazing. There were a few at the Escapades in Ohio last fall and it's unbelievable how they can go up and down bumps, curbs, and steep hills. I've never been on one but I'd like to try.

They are quite expensive and it would take a whole lot of gas line inspecting to pay for one.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all a matter of the area that I'm working in. Sometimes I go to the center of the map that I'm working on, then move around, til I come back to my car. I may just walk around the block. On lines that run along the hwy or road. I have the gas company take me to the end, where I park my car, then back to the start. I use my best judgement, ie weather, heat, type of lines. and lunch time. I work the maps that I have to my best advantage. yesterday I survey 17500 ft, moved car 3 times, Day before 25700 ft move car 5-8 times. on this survey I have on area that is 8 miles long. I'll have the gas company place me at start. When finished I'll go back over the area and map out the leaks, if any.

Bob

Bob, what about winter work? We are in a position now until october but will be looking for work for the winter. I know that you work parttime in the summer I think, do they have parttime work for the winters? Thanks!

Jim & Alona traveling with River, Rocky & Indy.

Our home, a 33' 1988 Southwind which we love!

http://arjrontheroad.blogspot.com

http://gatewatchers.blogspot.com

Where you park your car, you have to walk back to it. this week I covered 125,900 ft. That what I turned in to the gas company. So I walker about 28 miles, since this is how it done in Breckenridge, Tx. Sometimes I had the gas company pick me up. General rule of thumb is, what footage u turnin each week, double your walk for the week.

Bob

Thanks Bob. We are hoping to work in a warmer area for the winter (we are usually in snow country), would there be openings in those areas or do the fulltime employees head there?

Hey Bob,

Chuck got hired, has been training for the last 3 weeks, and will probably take his test this week.

We gave your name as the referral so you can get credit. You might want to check to make sure they have your info from us.

I am to start training in a week or so.

Chuck says he really likes it so far. He has been with Don and Rick and he says they have been very helpful.

Just thought I'd let you know what happened after I talked to you in Feb.

Regards,

Jan

jwalker

Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee

Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

J&A...

The answer to that is "sorta" icon_smile.gif

Chuch has been training for the last 3 weeks ans is hired. I sent in my paperwork the same time he did, but because of a local community project I am tied up with, I will not be able to start my training until after April 1.

From what I understand, after we are both trained, we can work together, at full technician pay, IF they have a job available that requires 2 on-site technicians. (or we could join a job that has multiple technicians, again, if available)

If there isn't a job available like that, we could request to work a transmission line. This would get one of us working at full tech pay, but the other would just be a helper. The helper is paid somewhere around minimum wage, and all that person does is shuttle the vehicle.

We have requested to work together as a team, we also have let them know that if they only have a job for one tech, we are fine with that too. We realize we will not always be able to work together and sometimes it will just be one of us drawing a check. They know that just because both of us are trained, doesn't mean we want to go in different, separate, directions. If they had something where there were two separate jobs in close proximity, (i.e., resaonable driving distance from a central location) we would do that though. We just don't want to have one of us going to one end of the country and the other going to the other end. We only have 1 RV, afterall.

The bottom line here is it is not critical that we both work ALL the time. We knew that would be the case going in and are fine with it.

We are willing to be flexible and work with them so that their clients get the best service and we are able to make enough to live on.

Of course if they had a job in a really interesting place, and only one of us could go, I might be easily pursuaded to ditch the DH for a few months, and head out on my own. icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this answers your question.

jwalker

Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee

Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

Thanks Jan for your input! I don't remember what the starting wage is for SC as well as where you train. Also, have they told you where you may be working during the winter? We would want to stay on the west half of the US and somewhat warm in the winter! Thanks again.

Bob, we would like to try this company for at least the coming winter and see how we all fit together. What should we do first? We will be done here in Utah in October, would there be training/work for us then do you think? I read in one of your earlier posts that they were short handed one winter, is that usual? if so, we might like to work for them in the winters and do other things in the summer or might wind up working for them all year. We are in our early 50's so walking is good for us!

Sorry Jan, yes I was asking you. All that info you shared is exactly what I was looking for, thanks again. Now, what is the best way to apply with SCC? Since we are hoping to start in october 07, do we apply now or wait awhile?

Bob, what do you think also?

About working for SCC during the winter. Most of those jobs are held for the crews that work during then spring and summer. You just let SCC know that you would like to work during the winter. 75% of the workers take a break for the winter. i work one winter in nashville, but had to wait a few weeks, before I went there.

Things are always changing in SCC, I was going to work in Texas this summer,but will work from may until the last of september in salt lake city. SCC needs 6 people this year, unlike last year they only need 2. Made a deal so that I get the West texas gas job again this OCt-Nov, Then finished for the season.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

On my way to Salt Lake City, the company asked me to do a small job in Johnson City, Ks. Thought this would be a simple job, wrong, Job simple, weather sucks. Friday we had 12 inches of snow, Temps have sung from 65-23, winds upto 54 miles per hour. Not much work in those conditions. I took a picture to remain me the next time they ask about Ks, tell them NO. DW not to happy about it. She do not into cold weather. can't work Monday and maybe tuesday because the ground will be to wet. But that how in goes. last season march- October, only one day I could not work.

When you have weeks like this they pay you 24 hrs as a minumin, plus travel allowance.

Bob

Bob, you don't know how happy or at least hope that you have given me. On this Sunday, April 15, 2007; I had really almost given up hope on ever being able to work. I have been trying to get a second job to help with bills... We own our vending business that we do in the summer months, it does well, just need to be able to keep the savings coming in.

We will run off the application, look over, fill out and then should send in? As far as 5th wheel,,,need to think about parks in area of work? Or need generator? We have worked together for 17 years, fast food/trk drving/vending at fairs, etc. I guess that we like each other icon_wink.gif. Well if you can give any advice I'M READY!!

Gary and Sheryl Briggs

3 Cairn Terriers

2007 Mobile Suite SB3

F450 Lariat Turbo Diesel 4X4

• 5 weeks later...

I can't believe that it has only been one month since I first asked Bob where to apply. But hey, DH trains monday YEAH icon_biggrin.gif Going to Round Rock, TX for at least 4 weeks. This company is so great that we will be able to do our Ice Cream trailer and work for SC icon_eek.gif. Well enuff fun on the net...THANK YOU BOB!!!! Gotta travel, hope to see ya'll down the road.

Gary and Sheryl Briggs

3 Cairn Terriers

2007 Mobile Suite SB3

F450 Lariat Turbo Diesel 4X4

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is a great forum. Hubby and I will be doing the same thing shorty hopefully through SCC. Please keep posting to this site as I am able to get a lot of good information. I was just wondering what the out of pocket was for the health insurance as I will need insurance - Hubby can get Medicare.

Debbie icon_biggrin.gif