Niceville to Lake City

Dapperdan

Hello, I'm looking for some travel advice, we're in the Florida Panhandle now and will be traveling south to the Orlando, Winter Haven area.  Right now we're in Fort Walton Beach and we are looking to stop over in Lake City Florida in a couple of weeks.   My question is, looking at the map we could take HWY 20 east out of Niceville Florida towards Tallahassee, picking up I-10 there and then getting on I-75 heading south.   Is HWY 20 a "trailer friendly" route or should we be using I-10 all the way?  We're pulling a 39' fifth wheel with a pick up.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Dan 

LDSP.jpg

1 hour ago, Dapperdan said:

Hello, I'm looking for some travel advice, we're in the Florida Panhandle now and will be traveling south to the Orlando, Winter Haven area.  Right now we're in Fort Walton Beach and we are looking to stop over in Lake City Florida in a couple of weeks.   My question is, looking at the map we could take HWY 20 east out of Niceville Florida towards Tallahassee, picking up I-10 there and then getting on I-75 heading south.   Is HWY 20 a "trailer friendly" route or should we be using I-10 all the way?  We're pulling a 39' fifth wheel with a pick up.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Dan 

As I recall... Rt 20 is a full sized road and I've been on much of it with my commercial truck and trailer with zero issues. It's a pleasant, if slow way to go. It's only slower because of the towns, etc., but very enjoyable. Hope my memory is still accurate.... Jay

For the most [art you will not find a State Highway SR that is RV unfriendly in Florida. The state spends it's highway funds fixing the roads tho some are a little rough while waiting their turn fort repair. And considering that the highest point in the state is less than 400 ft there are no major grades in Florida.  So SR 20 should be fine. We've probably been down it tho I done specifically recall that road. Lake City is about 35 miles from us.

I live in Tallahassee and the wife and I go to Topsail at least once a year and I always take 20. 41' 5er and a Dodge dually. I much prefer it to I-10. If you want to avoid the interstates as much as possible, pick up hwy 90 west of Tallahassee, it's easy going too.