3 degrees this morning

In Norman, OK. 

I did something last night when I got home and now wish I'd done it many days sooner. 

My Mini Split system is just below my living/sleeping area and when it's below "Freezing" there are multiple "Defrost" cycles. Even after several years I still hear it every time it happens (or it seems like it.) So what did I do? 

I parked my Jeep right next to the trailer. Mostly to block the North Wind that I thought was causing much of the noise from the unit, but to my surprise I wasn't awakened at all last night with a "Defrost". Maybe it's because the humidity is quite low, but it sure was noisy the night before and it was warmer, stayed in the double digits at least. 

I should have took the trouble of parking with the front of my trailer to the North and then I'd have a bit of sun on the sides, but at least my slide out's are on the South and that seems to make a big difference. I parked for a few weeks in the early Fall with the slide outs on the North side in one location and I will not do that again. It was a fairly protected location, but the North Winds for sure found their way in. Or so it seemed. 

Checked my Bully Dog Watchdog monitor and am sitting at 5390 Watts with 44.5 Amps being consumed. I did hook my propane furnace back up to keep my water pump warm in case I lose electric, but I hope that doesn't happen. Now I have to wonder if I can put enough Solar panels and batteries to be able to do this off grid. Computer is now showing 1 degree, but my probe outside is still at 3 and now it's warning of "High winds soon". Wish me luck. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I see you are learning to think about cold weather situations.  Temperatures, wind and wind direction can affect the situation.

As I posted , I have learned a great deal more about winter and things that can affect your time in winter weather.

The one thing about solar power in the winter you need to think about is snow covered solar panels.    I would think about practicing climbing up and clearing your panels you have up there now.  Just a suggestion.

Is your generator gas or propane.

Could your solar power, operate the heating system in cloudy weather. Also think about multiple days with clouds and snow, for boon docking. 

3 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

I see you are learning to think about cold weather situations.  Temperatures, wind and wind direction can affect the situation.

As I posted , I have learned a great deal more about winter and things that can affect your time in winter weather.

The one thing about solar power in the winter you need to think about is snow covered solar panels.    I would think about practicing climbing up and clearing your panels you have up there now.  Just a suggestion.

Is your generator gas or propane.

Could your solar power, operate the heating system in cloudy weather. Also think about multiple days with clouds and snow, for boon docking. 

Oh, I have thought about living in cold climates since before ordering my home. Unfortunately what I thought I was getting, didn't quite fit the bill. Never does, does it. 

I have no solar at all right now. Do have a completely open roof save for three vent pipe locations. The prior winters I've spent in OK have similar to how this one is progressing, will see how long this cold spell actually lasts and what's coming after. I'd like  a nice blanket of snow and then I'd pile it up around the underside of the house. Once it melts then it's no longer needed. If I put up skirting I have to take it down later and decide if it's trash or something to keep. Still kicking myself for forgetting the "FREE" inner tubes. TWICE. 

I have a dual fuel Generator and it seems to work well with my 50 amp cord and the Mini Split. It's already up to 8 now and cloudy so maybe the cooling will be less overnight. 

I did have an issue of too cold for propane very early last Spring. I hope my idea of heating the tank will mitigate that a bit. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.