Route?

homelesshartshorns

While 178 would be more scenic, and interesting to drive if in no hurry, it will also be much slower than 58, which I have been over some years ago. Highway 58 goes over Tehachapi Pass which is the only really mountain road part of that route and we have gone that way several times. It is an easy drive as compared to the other but possibly less scenic. Highway 58 is the main route from Bakersfield to Barstow and I-15. It is an easy drive in a motorhome as we took that route with our early Ford V10 several times. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Are you serious? They didn't make that road so crooked just to enjoy the scenery. Tehachapi Pass has an altitude of 4,000' and the grade is only 2.2%.  Walker Pass, just east of Lake Isabella is at 5,246'. I have not driven in a motorhome, only an automobile and that has been some time ago. I have driven highway 58 from Bakersfield to Barstow several times and as recently as 2022. We drove it several times with our 1999 F-53(early V10) of 36' towing a car as well as more recently with a 2003 Dodge truck towing a travel trailer. Neither was at all difficult. Here is a pretty accurate description of the highway 178 route,

The highway continues through the rural, but growing Rio Bravo section of Bakersfield, crossing SR 184. Turning northeast, the road narrows to a 4-lane highway and continues to the mouth of Kern Canyon (which is also the northeastern city limits of Bakersfield). For the next approximately 8 miles, the route is a narrow 2-lane road (average width of 18 ft. to 24 ft.), as it ascends the lower Sierra Nevada. Average speed is 35 mph, with sharp turns and steep dropoffs. After approximately 8 miles, the road becomes a much gentler 4-lane, 60 ft. expressway. The route continues east and reaches the town of Lake Isabella, which is just south of the Lake Isabella Reservoir. The road briefly expands to a divided freeway through Lake Isabella, before narrowing to a 2-lane conventional highway at the intersection with Lake Isabella Boulevard. The road continues to wind until it ascends to Walker Pass, an elevation of 5,250 feet (1,600 m). The highway then descends from the mountains to its junction with State Route 14.

Take a look at each route on Google Maps and you will see that even though 178 is about 10 miles shorter, it has far more crooked roads with 35 mph speeds. It just depends on how much you enjoy mountain roads as 178 is more scenic. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Ok Thanks for the enlightenment. This is information I can use. Thank you. And I don't like mountain roads as a matter of fact. I'll have to look again at Flattest Route. 

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Ok! I have taken your advice and taken the Tehachapi Pass, now I am at Lone Pine and wish to go to Las Vigus Area. Should I go through Death Valley or go back to 58 and 15 to get there. I'm interested in any experienced from someone that has taken both routes? 

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

Are you planning on staying in Death Valley for a couple of days?  Then it might make sense to go that way.  But if you are just trying to get to Vegas, I probably would not go that way.

If you don’t like mountain driving, you probably wouldn’t like going from Lone Pine through Death Valley.  It goes over Towne Pass and has some pretty steep grades.  It’s not fun to tow a trailer over it, even when the second time I did it I had a more capable tow vehicle (the first time was with a marginal tow vehicle and I didn’t know if it would make it over - it did, but it was sure slow).  It’s a slow road.

I’ve driven the 58 to the 15 many times, both with and without a trailer.  The grades aren’t as steep and while it’s a fairly boring drive, it’s not difficult.  

Highway 190 through Death Valley still has extensive damage from Hurricane Hilary's rains a couple of months ago. They just re-opened it last week.  Expect to encounter construction delays and one way traffic control at several places along the route including a 12 mile stretch west of Panamint Springs where the wait can be a half hour or more.  Most of the park is closed due to roads being washed out but you can drive down to Badwater Basin and see the temporary lake that is currently there.  RV camping is available in Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells.

If you aren't interested in seeing the limited areas open in Death Valley I'd take Hwy 395 down to Barstow and then take 58 and I-15 to Las Vegas.

Thanks for the advice, Guys, I came up here from The Red Cliffs on 14 and with a 25 mile per hour head wind it seemed to be all up hill. So, I'm hoping to be going downhill and wind at my back for a hundred miles. Thanks again and Safe Travels.