Hammocks

lappir

I put the title in the search area and found nothing. 

I thought I'd posted about my new Hammock I got while in North Dakota, but it didn't come up and I was too lazy to go to my content and try to find it. 

Anyway, the Hammock I purchased in North Dakota was nice. It was a Hammock and bug screen in one piece. I set it up in the campground I was staying at in Grand Forks and tried to sleep in it one night. The I 35 Interstate Hwy less than a mile east was quite noisy, the "Pole Lights" all over the campground didn't let it get very dark, so the trial didn't work. I did use it for other things for a day or two and then I sat in it for a bit and it ripped causing me to hit the ground. Of course it was returned. 

Several months ago I purchased a replacement from an REI store. It was a multi part outfit with the Hammock, a separate bug screen and a Rain cover. The sales person also said the "Tree straps" were the best. (Not). 

I've set it up a couple times and the bug screen isn't as user friendly as the first one, the Tree Straps are not easily fine tuned and it seemed to wrap me up like a mummy. 

Last night I thought it would be the perfect night to try it out at a local state Campground. It didn't get to 80 degrees all day, there was a nice breeze coming from the North West and the spot I trialed one afternoon last week was open. 

I got all set up. Had some food and waited for darkness to fall. I'd had a long day and usually am in bed just before sunset in the summer, but it was too light outside and with the mummy effect the breeze didn't feel all that cool, even with the temp getting close to the 70 degree mark. 

What you don't notice when trialing a place during the daytime is even if the lights seem a long way away from the "Tent" location and the tree cover you thought would be good didn't really work out. I almost made it to midnight before packing it all up and heading for home. 

I was hoping I could just easily fall asleep and wake up refreshed and I'd be able to use the set up on a nice long motorcycle trip someday. I've done the "Pup" tent several times and have slept well, but it seemed like there was a lot of setup. (didn't have the dome style, used the old pole at each end and lots of tie stakes to keep it open and in place. 

Looks like if it's a summer trip it will have to be finding a Motel room for the night, which I probably won't do. I've watched a lot of YouTube on how to set them up. Maybe I need to watch some more. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

The mummy effect is caused by lying lengthwise in a hammock. Shift a bit sideways and the hammock will flatten out making sleeping much more comfortable. But, we only used our for daytime breaks; never tried sleeping in it all night.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van