At what temp does winter in a camper van become uncomfortable?

WinAZ

On 12/23/2022 at 5:21 PM, Ray,IN said:

You might consider a diesel fuel cab heater for your basement area: https://www.vanbuilderguide.com/best-diesel-heaters-for-van-life/ instead of an LP heater.

Thanks for the link. The title question. I like to sleep in the cold and near freezing is OK but like 60 degrees plus, climbing under the covers. Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

On 12/22/2022 at 12:02 PM, JimK said:

I use a Mr Heater in my garage.  If it has been on for a while and I enter the garage, I can smell propane.  I also make sure my CO detector is working well.  Catalytic or not I would not put any burner in my RV.  I want outside exhaust of the combustion products, no smell, and definitely no possibility of a malfunction and CO emissions.

Another issue is clearance in front of the heater.  You need quite a bit of space with no combustibles anywhere near the heater.  Another downside is Mr Heater does not circulate the heat.  

There is another possibility.  There are diesel heaters designed for use in semi truck cabs.  They vent to the outside plus it is easier and cheaper to deal with diesel fuel rather than propane.  These units make lots of sense if you already have a RV that uses diesel.

User Beware!!  Mr Heater  ("Portable Buddy"): 

I rarely used my new 4K to 9K btu Mr Heater (single propane canister, but can hook up to 20# supply).  Early on I ran it a few times on the 1# propane bottles.  Worked fine.  I had ordered the recommended propane filter and the hose recommended (and supplied) by the mfgr for 20# tank. (Supposedly supply hoses from sources other than Mr. Heater are inferior.  OK - no big deal, what's one more!?)

Fast forward to first use with a 20# tank.  Brand new, never been used filter - attached to inlet on Mr. Buddy.  My bad - didn't check it (the filter) with soap & water for leakage.  I should add, I *always* do that with the bottles on my RV.

Long story short - the filter leaked *at the seam* around the middle.  Yikes!!  Looked like an F-15 on afterburner!!  Fortunately - after big eyes  - I quickly shut off the supply - and the Mr Heater only suffered some melted plastic.  Yes, I checked the filter later (without "ignition")  The seam was indeed the source of the leak.

My error (for not testing for leakage) but adios Mr. Heater!

Beside HDTs, some folks use the "Webasto" (and Chinese brands) of diesel heaters - with the unit *outside* a tent or garage.  Hot air duct to inside, combustion & exhaust takes place outside.  Many videos on You Tube.

~

Edited by Pappy Yokum
typos corrected