Robar Family

Hello,

New to Escapees but we've been family RVing since 2011 and missed New England on our last East Coast adventure several years ago (we're Pac NW / Greater Seattle based so rarely get to the east coast).

We are planning on a 3-week RV trip (2016 31 ft 5th wheel with slideouts on drivers side) to New England on short notice about Sep 22 (two weeks from now) to October 13 - starting in New York City area, driving to Boston for a few days for business meetings, then on to Acadia / Bar Harbor.

The return trip could go west from Bar Harbor toward Fort Ticonderoga, Niagra Falls? then south to Washington DC (at least 2 days) and return from there back to end in New York City area. Total time available is 3 weeks. 

As we need good internet access and power and we aren't setup well for boondocking, we'll be looking to stay at a mixture of commercial and public state parks (we have Harvest Host and a few other memberships and for work purposes want to see the best of some of the commercial chains and independent offerings on this trip (i.e. best independent, best KOA, best Thousand Trails, best Jellystone) as well as some of the best public in the New England / New York state / Pennsylvania / Wash DC area. Willing to pay a little extra a few times for a "well worth it" campground (quiet, good private spaces, special type of river/lake/view sites, etc).

Looking for "must see" bucket list type great historical and landscape areas - as our son is now a highly capable amateur outdoor photographer and historical landmarks buff (small towns with historical buildings, etc).

Any suggestions for how to camp near metro areas like Boston, Wash DC possibly Philadelphia? (optional but history buffs) and especially for recommendations near Acadia NP in late September.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!  First time in 5th wheel but experienced Class A, Class C and Trailer camping.

Normandy Farms in Foxboro is your best bet for the Boston area.  Cherry Hill Park in College Park, MD is great for D.C.  Liberty Harbor in Jersey City is basically a parking lot but it will serve your needs as it's all about Location, Location, Location.  We stayed at Philadelphia South/ Clarksboro KOA and finally, Bar Harbor/Oceanside KOA for Maine.  We've stayed at those places.  I hate to bring this up but be wary if the government shuts down without approving a debt extension as you may have some national parks that will be closed. Just have a good Plan B in case it happens.

Edited by Mr. Camper

I can't tell you much about Mass and info on the Ticondaroga leg will have to wait until after 9/27 when we arrive there.  Maine, however, is where I am now.

Your timing is good - you should be in Maine/NH/VT in the peak of leaf peeping.  You can monitor Maine foliage conditions online.  Internet access is going to be spotty.  If you are using cellular be cure to check the CG's coverage in Campendium.

If you are looking for CG's in Bar Harbor area start now.  Often those are booked far ahead for spots in the summer and during leaf peeping season.  You may need to be a bit out of BH and drive in.  The traffic on and off-island is often miserable but should be a bit less crazy at that time. It is likely to be a question of what you can get.  The Schoodic Point section of ANP is well worth visiting and has a CG that will take your size rig.  I don't know if they have vacancies.  They are water and elec - no sewer. Be aware that most CG's in northern NE close around Columbus Day.  That should not be a problem with your schedule but keep it in mind.  It may be an issue at the end.

Places to see:

Penobscot Narrows Observatory at Ft Knox in Bucksport.  Amazing views of oceans, mountain and foliage.  Here.  You can stop on the way to BH if you swing down Rte 1.  Otherwise a trip there is worth it.

Cadillac Mtn, ANP.  Seeing the sunrise at Cadillac Mtn is high on many people's list.  It has become so crowded that you need to make a reservation.

Schoodic Point - one of the least visited areas of ANP.  Great photo opportunities.  As noted above they have a CG

Events - here is a list of Downeast events

Have fun

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

DC area as one poster said, Cherry Hill just off the beltway. Having lived 85 miles out of DC we always used Bull Run County Park just outside Manassas, VA. Short drive to the Metro station with free parking. The easy way to get around DC because of so many parking limitations in the city. Very easy to use and we always found the Metro employees very friendly and helpful.  Just a stones throw from Bull Run Battlefield of the Civil War. I have no trouble driving in DC but the parking is so limited.

On 9/8/2021 at 6:56 AM, Mr. Camper said:

Normandy Farms in Foxboro is your best bet for the Boston area.  Cherry Hill Park in College Park, MD is great for D.C.  Liberty Harbor in Jersey City is basically a parking lot but it will serve your needs as it's all about Location, Location, Location.  We stayed at Philadelphia South/ Clarksboro KOA and finally, Bar Harbor/Oceanside KOA for Maine.  We've stayed at those places.  I hate to bring this up but be wary if the government shuts down without approving a debt extension as you may have some national parks that will be closed. Just have a good Plan B in case it happens.

Thanks so much for the reply and advice. Researching now.

On 9/11/2021 at 12:47 AM, Robar Family said:

I hate to bring this up but be wary if the government shuts down without approving a debt extension as you may have some national parks that will be closed. Just have a good Plan B in case it happens.

Even with a government funding shutdown Acadia NP should be accessible less bathrooms, campgrounds and visitor center.  Many of the roads through Acadia are also the roads that access other communities on the island.  Acadia is honeycombed with little slivers of private land that require access.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

On 9/8/2021 at 6:56 AM, Mr. Camper said:

Thur, Sep 23rd
Connecticut - still looking

Fri, Sep 24 - Tue Sep 28
Boston area: We couldn't get a spot in Normandy Farms. So we ended up with a site at Cranberry Acres Campground, Cary, Mass., next to the Myles Standish State Forest. Good access to Plymouth, Cape Code, Boston.

Tue Sep 28
Portland Maine:  Still looking

Wed Sep 29 - Sat Oct 2nd
Bar Harbor, Maine:  We ended up finding a spot at the Mt. Desert Narrows Campground right outside Bar Harbor. 

Sat/Sun Oct 2-3
Gorham, NH area:  Still looking 

Try a bit south of Portland.  We stayed at Yankeeland RV in Kennebunk in August.  Nice place.  It is a couple of miles from from 95  so its prettybe quiet.  Pricey but may be less off season.  Mostly seasonals but they have about twenty travel sites.  We had FHU/50.  It is about a half hour run to Portland via I-95 and I-295.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne