Rumor: Tesla Model 2 Coming To China This Year

RV_

We knew that Tesla will begin production of the Cybertruck in the Texas plant this year. But I thought the Model 2 ⪳ $25k would not be for a couple of years, but rumor has it that the Shanghei factory will begin production of it this year. Wow, possibly two new models in the same year!

Excerpt:

"The rumor mill is working overtime over reports that Tesla has begun the process of certifying a new car for sale in China. That procedure begins with an environmental impact assessment, which is now underway according to Chinese news source Sina.com. Australia’s motoring magazine The Driven is reporting Tesla may begin selling a hatchback car based on the Model 3 later this year. Known informally as the Model 2, the car is said to be the first to be designed at Tesla’s China Design Center and will be manufactured on a new assembly line being built at the Gigafactory in Shanghai. The sale price is said to be 160,000 yuan, or just under $25,000.

Bear in mind all of this is rumor. Tesla has not confirmed the report. (Nor has is denied it.) The new, smaller Tesla will be officially unveiled to the public at the Guangzhou Auto Show in November according to Chinese news reports. There are some sketches floating around the internet. There is a 5-door hatchback concept at Sina.com that seems like it could be close to what a production ready car might look like. Perhaps. It’s handsome in a utilitarian sort of way and is reminiscent of the late Opel-built Astra, which is not a bad thing.

Source:

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/02/05/rumor-tesla-model-2-coming-to-china-this-year/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Here's a new one on me. US$5,607  mini EV with a top speed of 62mph and a range of 75 mi. This could be the HDT Smart car replacement. You guys familiar look at the dimensions and tell me if it could work. The world's changing.

"The Wuling Hongguang Mini EV is equipped with a 9.2kWh battery capable of a NEDC range of 120 km (75 mi) or a 13.8kWh battery capable of a NEDC range of 170 km (110 mi).[3]

The Hongguang Mini can seat four people and is powered by a singular electric motor producing 13 kW (17.4 hp) and 62.7 pound-feet of torque with rear-wheel drive. The Hongguang Mini EV has a top speed of 100 km/h (62 mph) and an estimated range of 106 miles.[3] Based on the NEDC driving cycle the estimated energy consumption of the Wuling Hongguang Mini EV is 8,1 kWh/100 km.[4]

In 2020, the Hongguang Mini had a price starting at US$4,162 and ends at US$5,607 for a fully loaded model, making it China's cheapest EV.[5] Standard safety features of the Hongguang Mini include anti-lock brakes, tire pressure monitoring sensors, and rear parking sensors. The Hongguang Mini also has standard features including air conditioning, power windows, stereo system, 12 storage compartments, 741 liters of trunk space with the rear seats folded down, and the accelerating and braking pedals feature positive and negative symbols.[6]

In October 2020, the Hongguang Mini surpassed the Tesla Model 3 to become the bestselling EV in China, with 55,781 sales through the three months ending October 31.[7]"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuling_Hongguang_Mini_EV

Here is an American review of it which is harsh but honest. No safety but seatbelts.

For the money I'd buy it as a play toy. But watch how well it sells here. This thing is 9feet long I think. Very Interesting.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire