honda eu3000 breathing/cooling.

packnrat

will i am turning a dog house into a use/storage box for my honda eu 3000. and just need to know how big of a filter ( think home air filter) is needed to keep fresh air going to the motor.

i can fit a 12X 20 inch filter in the door.

or just run no filter and a fan on one end, and use the dog door as the exhaust

or use the door for both. cold air in hot air out.

or would just nat venting do the job? as there is plenty of leakage, and the roof is hinged.

would run with the “lid” closed. but there is a good gap all around it.

sorry i tried to get a photo, but could not post it.

I went down this road several years ago.  I built an enclosure for a generator and used all kinds of methods to vent and insulate it.  I had multiple iterations of the enclosure (Styrofoam insulation, vents, powered vent fans, mufflers, openings in the enclosure, etc.), but I could never sufficiently vent the heat from the enclosure and ultimately the generator would over heat or shut down.  Granted, I was working with a larger generator than a Honda EU3000, but it was still a losing battle.  When I had my Honda EU3000, I didn't worry about an enclosure.  That generator was quiet enough that it was never a thought to try to enclose it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

yes it is quiet. just this enclosure is a way to mostly protect it from the weather. and a bit less sound (mostly directional)  so as to not advertise i have one.

will be bolted down to a concreat slab, and carry handles removed.

sorry i could not get a photo to post up. but this “dog house” can hold two eu3000 in it. and it is anything but air tight to start with. looks more like a short garbage can box that a “standard “ dog house.

i do not believe over heating will be a problem. will install a temp probe to check on this.

exhaust is also not a problem. just need a flex pipe coupling. water heater / stove vent coupling ( to help keep the worst of the heat off the wood) to pass through the side of the box, and a outside stack to direct it up and away.

i read a deal were using a couple lengths of 3 in plastic piping. to direct the exhaust up and away. cools it, redirects sound, gets the bad stuff away from any doors/windows, etc.

kinda a test bed if nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

first problem . need a new exhaust manifold gasket.

looked online but there are a number of them they all look the same, but different part numbers.  ( are the photos of the exact part number? or just a place holder photo?).

anyone out there. know the differences. and correct applications.

• 2 months later...