New Forks Lake, near pinedale WY

agesilaus

Just thought I'd comment on some of the places we boondocked in this last summer. Looking at the map of our trip we did a lot less boondocking than we planned. I actually think we got diverted by COE parks..heh. Here is the map of our loop:

Map generated by RVTW

That is a very nice feature they've added to RVTW, you can send a link to your travel map.

OK on to new Fork Lake north of Pinedale WY. There is a state park hear and that park has the absolute worst roads of any that I recall seeing. They are very narrow, extremely rutted, off camber, and overhung with trees. They also lead you to a cul-de-sac too small to turn around in with a camper attached. The sites are very small and squeezed into the trees:

iHCebXgl.jpg

That's a surprise the photo insertion worked, I used the RVN photo posting app.

aiNF3rXl.jpg

This is the entrance to the SP:

However this park is surrounded by a large boondocking area with room for scores of campers:

Bx92Z6pl.jpg

The only real reason to visit the area is the beach area in the SP:

RQ9w2Ful.jpg

Which for Wyoming is the East Coast Beaches of Florida...heh.

That said the boondocking was excellent, lots of room. A fire ring and lots of downed wood. Pinedale is about a 30 minute drive and the road in isn't bad. Moderated washboarding the last five or six miles. There is a Boy Scout Camp (closed of course) just down the road and the road by the SP is called Boy Scout road. There is another section of the park you can find several miles down the entry road if you do not turn down Boy Scout RD. The washboading got much worse but there are more boondocking sites all along that road including a few on the lake.  We only made it about half way which is probably good since unknown to me a bolt was vibrating out of the right front caliper.

The Warren Bridge over the Green River is about 15 minutes down the main highway, US 191 once you get there. Many more boondocking spots there right on the river.

-