Retirement countdown

My last day of work is 31 Aug 20. This will my second time retiring. I retired from the USAF back 2011. I've been waiting for this day for over a year. I sold my rental house last year in Utah. I used the proceeds to purchase my motorhome and toad. I've been living in it off and on for over year to get used to it. I traveled 3000 miles this past year. Early this month I finally sold my primary home. Had to get rid of almost 20 years of stuff. It was hard to do. I couldn't believe I collected so much stuff. Anyway, once I retired from work, I will stay in Texas for about 6 weeks and then start my journey. Plan on staying two weeks in Las Vegas. About 9 days at Nellis AFB famcamp and 5 days at the NHRA race end of October if they still have it. Then I'll proceed south to Arizona. I'll stay a night at North Ranch. While I'm there, I'll get the motorhome weighed. Then I'll spend the winter at a campground in Huachuca City.

My plans are to spend the summers up north and winter in Arizona. I hope to get a workamping job at Yellowstone next summer. Want to make some extra money to do some upgrades to the motorhome and save some money for a lease at Evergreen COHO. I'm in no rush to travel all over.

Mike

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy that you have joined us.

Just a couple of thoughts that may be helpful. I would look into the Yellowstone positions as soon as possible as they have historically been difficult to get due to the large number of people who wish to work or volunteer there. Unless things have changed recently, the paid positions are with vendors who run the concessions there and the NPS positions are volunteer with a campsite your only compensation. I have done a lot of volunteer positions for an RV site but only a couple with any pay and those were a long time back. 

On Evergreen-Coho RV Resort, the active wait list is currently about 180 members long and the top positions have been on the list for about 3 years. As a result you need to get on their list as soon as possible. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

https://workampingjobs.com/workampingjobs.php?sortby=dateadded DESC&pay=

This is one of many sites for workamping (w/k) jobs.  There are a number of Facebook (FB) w/k groups, too.  Cool Works is yet another.   You will have no trouble finding w/k ads.  

If you have never done w/k, be careful.  There are some unscrupulous characters out there.  I have seen ads asking for 25+ hrs a week, just for a FHU site and zero pay.  Then when I look at the park's rates, I see they charge less than $500 for a month for a FHU site, including electric.  25 hrs a week x 4 weeks = 100 hrs a month.  In that case, the "pay" for your work is $5 an hr.  And the park charges less than $500 a month for a seasonal site.  Since a w/k job is for a season, the "hourly pay" would come out even less than $5 an hr.

I realize people have different wants/needs and also different ways to calculate compensation.  There are good and bad everywhere.  Just be aware.  

As for fam camps, make sure you call ahead to verify retirees can use them during COVID.  Some are allowing only AD in.

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy that you have joined us.

Just a couple of thoughts that may be helpful. I would look into the Yellowstone positions as soon as possible as they have historically been difficult to get due to the large number of people who wish to work or volunteer there. Unless things have changed recently, the paid positions are with vendors who run the concessions there and the NPS positions are volunteer with a campsite your only compensation. I have done a lot of volunteer positions for an RV site but only a couple with any pay and those were a long time back. 

On Evergreen-Coho RV Resort, the active wait list is currently about 180 members long and the top positions have been on the list for about 3 years. As a result you need to get on their list as soon as possible. 

Already put my application in with Delaware North. They wanted me to start last month, but was still working. They said they would contact me later on this year.

I don't turn 55 until September 2023. So I'm waiting to submit my application until October of this year. This way I'll be 55 by the expected three year wait. Hopefully I don't get at the top of the list before I turn 55.

31 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

https://workampingjobs.com/workampingjobs.php?sortby=dateadded DESC&pay=

This is one of many sites for workamping (w/k) jobs.  There are a number of Facebook (FB) w/k groups, too.  Cool Works is yet another.   You will have no trouble finding w/k ads.  

If you have never done w/k, be careful.  There are some unscrupulous characters out there.  I have seen ads asking for 25+ hrs a week, just for a FHU site and zero pay.  Then when I look at the park's rates, I see they charge less than $500 for a month for a FHU site, including electric.  25 hrs a week x 4 weeks = 100 hrs a month.  In that case, the "pay" for your work is $5 an hr.  And the park charges less than $500 a month for a seasonal site.  Since a w/k job is for a season, the "hourly pay" would come out even less than $5 an hr.

I realize people have different wants/needs and also different ways to calculate compensation.  There are good and bad everywhere.  Just be aware.  

As for fam camps, make sure you call ahead to verify retirees can use them during COVID.  Some are allowing only AD in.

I've been reading up on some of those places that take advantage of you with you. I'll check before I commit. I only plan on doing Workamping for short bit. Maybe 5 years.

Already made reservations at Nellis. I'm sure if they weren't taking them, they would have said something.  I always check there website and call ahead.

Mike