Insurance Quotes....

aztex

Hi,

In preparation for picking a domicile state I wanted to chose one that has low fees across the board. I gathered some states like Texas can have very high insurance rates so I called my insurance broker and was told they DO NOT care about domicile state ONLY where the RV will be MOST of the time.

I tried to explain that IF I full time I have no clue where I will be most of the time. They defaulted to my previous storage facility in AZ... I tried to say I'm leaning towards Texas but they kept going back to where the RV is MOST of the time... That doesn't even have to be 1/2 year plus one day but simply the longest period the RV is in one place. Home, rv park or storage facility..

It seems very vague...I could claim I stay in a low insurance state "most" of the time and they would have a helluva time untangling what's true or not.

BTW "Full Time" is more of an action not a statement so at what point do we "legally" become full time? I ask this basic question because I noticed my policy may say 150 days maximum use as I was pressed at the time as did not and do not know how long I will "full time".....

Insurance company asks where it will be garaged. I say we full time. Then asks again. I say, well, it maybe there sometime. Good enough. We are Texans though. My Teton never been on that property though. It may

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

11 hours ago, aztex said:

BTW "Full Time" is more of an action not a statement so at what point do we "legally" become full time? I ask this basic question because I noticed my policy may say 150 days maximum use as I was pressed at the time as did not and do not know how long I will "full time".....

If you are looking for some law that will require your insurance to pay no matter where you are or how much time you spend in the RV, good luck! There simply is no such law and if your present insurance states that it is only valid when the RV is used 150 days per year or less, your insurance company can easily refuse payment of any claim when you live in it longer than that. It isn't a matter of law, but one of the contract between you and the insurance company. In most cases, insurance companies expect a vehicle to be insured at the same location as it is legally registered.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

. In most cases, insurance companies expect a vehicle to be insured at the same location as it is legally registered.

THIS is what I figured and kept going back to this to the irritation of the broker.

I'm curious how far down they drill to deny claims. Would they want to see receipts and if they prove you've actually been in a location more than the one specified as "home" deny the claim?

I'm sure many FT'ers adapt their schedule year to year. I wonder if anyone has had a problem....

BTW When I bought my new RV and financed it the insurance broker seemed to infer finance companies don't like full timing in "their" RVs. Could being financed toss a monkey wrench into my full time plans? I can't imagine why as long as I'm insured and paying my bill on time....