Looking at buying a bus conversion

Hello,

I'm new here and loving all the information I've found so far! 

I'm looking at buying a 1973 MCI Challenger bus conversion with a Detroit Diesel (8V71). I'm in love with it but I'm concerned about the mileage and can't find anything about the engines. It has 1,000,113 miles. It has had 4 previous owners with all records. What do I need to look for? It'd be for me and my teenage sons to travel the USA and see all the sites. I dont want to spend the time broken down. I also no nothing about Diesel engines. Thank you so much for reading this. 

Edited by purpliciousvixen

Thinking with a million miles will have had a couple of rebuilds. 8V71's have not been built for many years. Probably not the best choice for someone who knows nothing about diesel engines.

Edited by jcussen

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

40 minutes ago, purpliciousvixen said:

That's so sad to hear because I love it so. I've only ever worked on cars and that is still limited. Are they hard to work on or learn how to work on? I'm very good at researching and figuring things out. If its had a few rebuilds would it be worth it? If it hasn't had any rebuilds is that a hard no? 

Generally in bus service, 8v71's were rebuilt every 200 to 300 thousand miles. So I expect it has had several overhauls. If you are serious about buying it, would recommend you getting a bus guy to check it out first. There are several bus conversion forums you could look on, you might find some good information on them. I have had two bus conversions with 8V71's and they are generally good engines, but you must know what you are doing, they are not like modern engines with all kinds of protection and safety features. Think the last OTR DD 8v71 was produced in the late 70's, its big brother the 92 series went on to about 1995. This guy knows a lot about them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTeteRfN_uu-odJld157e6Q

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Unless the price is really cheap, don't buy.  There are a lot of conversions available. 

In the older coaches it's all Detroit 71 or 92 series engines.  Detroit named the engine series by cylinder displacement. 71 series at 71 cubic inches per cylinder.  Inline was 671. V engines 6V71.  92 series for buses were usually 6V92T or 6V92 TA, turbo and Turbo Aftercooled.  An 8V81 is a solid engine with rebuilds in motorhome service at  300K to 500Kmiles.  They do leak oil. I have seen a couple of engines that didn't leak any oil. Both had been built by long time mechanics. One guy spent six months on the rebuild of a 671. And then he used Imron to paint the engine. 

There are quite a few conversions available for sale. 

Last GM bus build date was 1980. For MCI look for 102A3, C3 that starts in the mid 80's through early 90's. All Detroit 2 stroke engine in the 92 series on 

There are bus conversions on the road  that  come from buses built in the  late 40's and early 50's. I know a couple that I wouldn't hesitate to take cross country tomorrow. 

Check  the BNO, Bus Nuts Online, and the Bus Conversions Magazine boards for the wealth of information available.

On Utube  it is "Bus Grease Monkey" to see what it takes to maintain a bus. Can be expensive but then again the major maintenance is every ten years. 

Good luck,,

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

On 7/30/2020 at 8:14 PM, purpliciousvixen said:

Hello,

I'm new here and loving all the information I've found so far! 

I'm looking at buying a 1973 MCI Challenger bus conversion with a Detroit Diesel (8V71). I'm in love with it but I'm concerned about the mileage and can't find anything about the engines. It has 1,000,113 miles. It has had 4 previous owners with all records. What do I need to look for? It'd be for me and my teenage sons to travel the USA and see all the sites. I dont want to spend the time broken down. I also no nothing about Diesel engines. Thank you so much for reading this. 

Did you buy it?

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Jcussen,

Like you, I am newly in the market for a bus, and may have found the one I want. The way I am going to determine it, rather than flying or driving halfway across the country to see it, is hiring an expert to do a thorough inspection. Yes, it costs a few hundred, but in my experience with many things ranging from experts to help in salary negotiating to home inspections, to about any other larger ticket item, paying for expert advice always pays dividends. I am going through a broker, placing a deposit with a signed purchase agreement contract with contingencies for the inspection and test drive by an expert in the kind of rig I am looking at. No, it's not a really high $ one either... a 1975 MCI 8. But with his 5-6hr inspection, I will KNOW a great deal about the unit. Then, I can re-negotiate, or feel good about the pre-agreed upon price. If I have to walk away, I'd rather walk away from a few hundred bucks (Inspector says $400-600) than get mired in a money pit. This way I will also learn a great deal more than I currently know about old bus conversions. Cheap education if you ask me. Besides, I could easily spend the cost of the inspection in travel and accommodation. And I still get my time to do the things I need to do daily. So when I take delivery of whatever coach I buy, its pretty likely I will have only seen it in pictures, maybe some video, and through the eyes of a professional, qualified inspector. Peace of mind. Again, I'm no expert in all this, but this is how I approach subjects like this I have much to learn about. Hope it helps. Try Pop RV's for locating an expert. 

Think you were responding to OP,  not me. Agree with getting it inspected. But do not believe a normal RV inspector will have the knowledge to properly inspect a 45 year old bus conversion. I would check out the bus conversion forums and contact a member that has actual experience, and has actually owned an older bus conversion, and offer to pay him to look it over, and drive it. Older MCI's had some engine and chassis quirks, that might go unnoticed to someone not familiar with them. Also remember, every bus conversion is completely custom,  usually designed and installed by original owner, but possibly modified over the years by subsequent owners, not a normal motorhome in any way.

5 hours ago, jcussen said:

Think you were responding to OP,  not me. Agree with getting it inspected. But do not believe a normal RV inspector will have the knowledge to properly inspect a 45 year old bus conversion. I would check out the bus conversion forums and contact a member that has actual experience, and has actually owned an older bus conversion, and offer to pay him to look it over, and drive it. Older MCI's had some engine and chassis quirks, that might go unnoticed to someone not familiar with them. Also remember, every bus conversion is completely custom,  usually designed and installed by original owner, but possibly modified over the years by subsequent owners, not a normal motorhome in any way.

Yes, I meant OP. Sorry about that. I agree on your points, which is why I suggest an EXPERT... someone who knows the buses... not just any old RV inspector. I have located an inspector with experience around these old buses. I don't recall recommending a normal RV inspector, or insinuating that it is a normal RV. I mentioned Pop RV's because they broker a lot of deals, including a lot of old bus conversions. 

4 minutes ago, purpliciousvixen said:

No. It's never had a rebuild so I was worried it'd be more than I can handle or afford  

Probably a good decision, when I was looking for my first bus conversion in the Pacific Northwest where there are a lot of bus conversions for sale, found a lot of guys buy an old conversion because they looked cool, or are cheap.  They end up getting in over their head and end up selling it for a lot less than they paid for it. I am an marine engineer, so know a little bit about diesels and house systems,  On my first conversion, still ended up putting $10000 into the coach and ended up selling it for what I paid for it. An old bus conversion will always need some repairs and parts, which are getting harder to find, which is why I finally went to a newer motorhome. See my sig.

1 hour ago, Headed off grid said:

Yes, I meant OP. Sorry about that. I agree on your points, which is why I suggest an EXPERT... someone who knows the buses... not just any old RV inspector. I have located an inspector with experience around these old buses. I don't recall recommending a normal RV inspector, or insinuating that it is a normal RV. I mentioned Pop RV's because they broker a lot of deals, including a lot of old bus conversions. 

You seem to know what you are doing, good luck.