purpliciousvixen

Looking at buying a bus conversion

Hello,

I'm new here and loving all the information I've found so far! 

I'm looking at buying a 1973 MCI Challenger bus conversion with a Detroit Diesel (8V71). I'm in love with it but I'm concerned about the mileage and can't find anything about the engines. It has 1,000,113 miles. It has had 4 previous owners with all records. What do I need to look for? It'd be for me and my teenage sons to travel the USA and see all the sites. I dont want to spend the time broken down. I also no nothing about Diesel engines. Thank you so much for reading this. 

Edited by purpliciousvixen

Thinking with a million miles will have had a couple of rebuilds. 8V71's have not been built for many years. Probably not the best choice for someone who knows nothing about diesel engines.

Edited by jcussen

That's so sad to hear because I love it so. I've only ever worked on cars and that is still limited. Are they hard to work on or learn how to work on? I'm very good at researching and figuring things out. If its had a few rebuilds would it be worth it? If it hasn't had any rebuilds is that a hard no? 

40 minutes ago, purpliciousvixen said:

That's so sad to hear because I love it so. I've only ever worked on cars and that is still limited. Are they hard to work on or learn how to work on? I'm very good at researching and figuring things out. If its had a few rebuilds would it be worth it? If it hasn't had any rebuilds is that a hard no? 

Generally in bus service, 8v71's were rebuilt every 200 to 300 thousand miles. So I expect it has had several overhauls. If you are serious about buying it, would recommend you getting a bus guy to check it out first. There are several bus conversion forums you could look on, you might find some good information on them. I have had two bus conversions with 8V71's and they are generally good engines, but you must know what you are doing, they are not like modern engines with all kinds of protection and safety features. Think the last OTR DD 8v71 was produced in the late 70's, its big brother the 92 series went on to about 1995. This guy knows a lot about them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTeteRfN_uu-odJld157e6Q

Unless the price is really cheap, don't buy.  There are a lot of conversions available. 

In the older coaches it's all Detroit 71 or 92 series engines.  Detroit named the engine series by cylinder displacement. 71 series at 71 cubic inches per cylinder.  Inline was 671. V engines 6V71.  92 series for buses were usually 6V92T or 6V92 TA, turbo and Turbo Aftercooled.  An 8V81 is a solid engine with rebuilds in motorhome service at  300K to 500Kmiles.  They do leak oil. I have seen a couple of engines that didn't leak any oil. Both had been built by long time mechanics. One guy spent six months on the rebuild of a 671. And then he used Imron to paint the engine. 

There are quite a few conversions available for sale. 

Last GM bus build date was 1980. For MCI look for 102A3, C3 that starts in the mid 80's through early 90's. All Detroit 2 stroke engine in the 92 series on 

There are bus conversions on the road  that  come from buses built in the  late 40's and early 50's. I know a couple that I wouldn't hesitate to take cross country tomorrow. 

Check  the BNO, Bus Nuts Online, and the Bus Conversions Magazine boards for the wealth of information available.

On Utube  it is "Bus Grease Monkey" to see what it takes to maintain a bus. Can be expensive but then again the major maintenance is every ten years. 

Good luck,,

Bill

On 7/30/2020 at 8:14 PM, purpliciousvixen said:

Hello,

I'm new here and loving all the information I've found so far! 

I'm looking at buying a 1973 MCI Challenger bus conversion with a Detroit Diesel (8V71). I'm in love with it but I'm concerned about the mileage and can't find anything about the engines. It has 1,000,113 miles. It has had 4 previous owners with all records. What do I need to look for? It'd be for me and my teenage sons to travel the USA and see all the sites. I dont want to spend the time broken down. I also no nothing about Diesel engines. Thank you so much for reading this. 

Did you buy it?