Needle Creek Reservoir near Gunnison CO

agesilaus

We spent 3 days around the Fourth boondocking at this site. 38.353685, -106.557284. The road in is SR 45 and there are a number of turns on the gravel road into the site, but they are all clearly marked with a small needle creek reservoir sign. There are two gates that have to be opened on the road and closed. And the last 3 miles the road deteriorates and is quite rough, with one hairpin turn, and a tight fit thru a cattle guard. So use your judgement about what you want to pull down there. There is also a shallow creek crossing and the road gets very slippery when rained on. This is a long approach road at least 10 miles.

The site we got, number 4 was one of the two actually on the lake, sort of. The other I think was number 6. There are only 7 or so sites, several way too small for an RV. All other sites were taken when we arrived at 3 PM on a Thursday.

Our site was excellent tho, good view of the lake, very quiet and no one within 500 feet of us. We were perched on a rise off the lake with a good view. Fishing is apparently very good, they were catching something that looked like trout to my uneducated eye. There are some steep hiking andd OHV trails in the area. Water was too cold for swimming and the banks muddy and slippery. The lake was way down. The only other excellent site looked like number 6 which was on a peninsula in the lake at the far end away from us.

Now the last night some fellow, I think from number 6, seems to have drowned in the lake. We woke up about 1 AM to many flashing red lights and people walking along the lake edge with flashlights and shouting. The gave up around 4 AM and the divers were out at 9 AM the next morning., This was the 4th of July evening and we heard a lot of shouting and what sounded like a long string of gunshots from the other end of the lake.

I don't think we would return to this location because of the uncertainty of finding a good spot after a 20 mile drive from Gunnison followed by the long gravel road.

Look down on lake from our campsite-Dive team.jpg