VA vs watts

Looking at Victron specs on a 48/8000 Quattro. Output is 8000 VA, 6500 watts. ???? Magnum on their 44448pae states 4400 watts. No mention of VA. So is victron really a 6500 watt unit where Magnum is what they state? I am trying to size a system and 1500 watts is a lot.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Ok. Peter at PKYS has a write up about this. Basically anything that create a magnetic field you use VA rating. So acs have electrical motors, washing machines maybe. Mine is new inverter style. Dc motor. Question that one. Drills, vacuum cleaner, fans. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, way back when practicing I used all this VA versus Watts on a regular basis, but I've slept since lol. Basically Power in Watts (aka True Power)  = Volt Amps (aka Apparent Power)  X  Power Factor.  In a pure resisitve load the PF is Unity One so Watts are equal to Volt Amps. HOWEVER if there are inductive loads such as AC or Refrigerator compressor motors or transformer devices, current lags the voltage yielding a less then one Power Factor, so if the PF was 0.8 and the VA (Apparent Power) was 8000, the Watts (True Power) would be 8000 x .8 or 6400.   

Sorry I have no specs, data or manuals as to the rating of the units in question

John T  Tooooooo longggggggggggg retired n rusty on this so no warranty 

Glenn, if there's only a resisitve load (heating units, unity PF, W = VA) attached that's one thing BUT if you power an AC or Compressor Fridge IE motors etc., they have a less then one PF. Again W = VA x PF,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or VA = W/PF............ Example 8000 VA = 6400 Watts/.8

Clear as mud Im sure lol

John T

Actually the VA figure is the rating of inverter. Watts is less. So my ac, fridge dishwasher, dryer, washing machine, refrigerator will fall under VA. I was thinking backwards. Lol. So I should be good with 8K Quattro. That actually less than dual Magnums.