Victron and autotransformers

Been chatting with Victron. They state dual Victrons set up in split phase (180 apart) is problematic. States it works some. They went in great detail exsplaing it but bottom line Autotransformer is best way to go. They wll handle up to 32 amp difference (unbalanced) and that is a lot on a 50 amp rv. Also said little benefit in two inverters vs one large. Now I was chatting about 10k inverted power. So two 5k parrelled or 1 10k but both setups to a 100 amp autotransformer. Did recommend a bypass setup also. Doing all the math, this is actully a few dollars more (FEW) than Magnum dual PAE units. With all the extra wiring in two invertes I find a panel good money spent. Also the remote is extra. But bottoom line is lot less wiring for about same cost. It was interesting that they just have no intention of coming out with a split phase inverter like Magnum has. Stated about that Transformer better. So at this point I have decided a 10k Victron Quattro and 100 amp Autotransformer. Just need to figure if I want to go 120v or 240v. I'll get 240v with either with the autotransformer.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, you sure do your homework congratulations.............FWIW I like the idea of one big single unit versus having to wire two. Without seeing their autotransformer configuration, if its as I suspect and NOT being an isolation transformer, I think there will be less headaches regarding "separate derived source" wiring concerns.  If you use a transformer anyway to deliver all the final power, in response to your last question, Id go with 240 subject to the configuration I haven't seen so cant guarantee. .

Get this done and I expect pictures and final wiring diagrams !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

John T

I was just measuring to make sure that big unit fits. Have to relocate my brake master cyclinder but that not hard. Be easier than all that wiring. That unit 22.6x19.2x13.6".  John, I believe 2 switches and cables will settle bypass. Divert power before inverter and after autotransformer. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Yes, I feel it is sided also. Since then been on Facebook site where guys using victron equipment. All that posted that they were using Quattros in split phase reported no problems. When on 30 amp master would supply one leg from grid and slave pull from batteries. Master would charge batteries. If I went with duall units I could use the Multiplus 11. They go to 5k 240v. But still have to  use a transformer. The one big 10k unit is so tempting. Simple wiring. Not near the breakers and swithches involved in multiple units. I disllke having to use  Quattros. Don't need them. I will never have a 5/8k generator on board. That is why I have the 21k battery bank. But 3 Multiplus 3k units won't fit. And that is a lot of wiring, breakers, bussbars, etc. To tell the truth Magnum a lot simpler.

Thanks

I've seen the FB posts

I have  Multis (24/3000-70--120) running in split phase and I power everything in my rig!  No issues (including 2 15k AC's) I updated from a single multi running through the AM Solar PSS and it worked well. I wanted more available inverter power and needed the option of using a 2K genny when required. This allows me to set the input current as low as 7.5 amps so I don't overload the genny. Too bad you can't get by with one 5K Quattro 120 and a 3K 240 unit.  Sure would be easier!  

Edited by DesertMiner

Are you saying that you run entire rv on 6k including acs? My 240v load is not much. 880 watts is max output and it rarely sees that. My wife has bad allergies with a touch of asthma. Has three hepa units in our rig. All cooking is convection microwave or air fryer. Also a 120v clothes dryer. Want to replace with gas if I ever find one. I ask because if I don't need 10k I won't get it. Concerning second unit for 240 is interesting. I could abandon the wire and run a new line. Hadn't thought of that. But Victron don't make a single unit that is 240 L1 and L2. Would still have to have a Autotransformer. Multiplus has a 48/1600  230/240. $791.00. Transformer $550.00.. Then I got to take care of the 120v side. Really don't see this as a help.

Edited by GlennWest

Yep... I can run both roof top A/C’s the microwave and the water heater. That’s about 5k watts. Battery capacity is my only limitation. I don’t usually run all at the same time and usually only run the water heater when needed for showers or washing dishes or clothes. The A/C’s are usually only to cool down after a long drive. I have run the A/C’s for up to 6 hrs. MW runs for short bursts during the day. The residential fridge is on all day and it pulls about 75 watts when running. My system is pretty small by some standards... only 2400 watts of solar and a 400 AH BB setup at 24vdc. We manage our usage according to our capacities. 

13 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

AM Solar PSS would do it. Remember the 5K is really only 4K continuous. 

it same cost as a autotransformer. So to have seperate inverters, one for 240 and other for 120 I will have 2 inverters, 2 autotransformers. Don't see how that benefits me. Actually the more we dicuss this the better Magnum looks.

Edited by GlennWest

• 1 year later...
On 6/15/2020 at 8:18 PM, GlennWest said:

Don't really understand the market. Can not buy a single split phase 8-10k unless you get a Aims unit. Substandard. 

Schneider Electric makes split-phase Inverters and Inverter/Chargers.

Edited by HookEm

22 hours ago, HookEm said:

Schneider Electric makes split-phase Inverters and Inverter/Chargers.

6800 watts max with Schneider. 

Edited by GlennWest