Slide Toppers

i4110peter

It's very frightening when water on the slide topper freezes overnight and smashes into the ground when the slide is retracted the next morning.

Make sure no one is standing there.
Also, if ice forms on the roof and you plan on driving - beware that the ice can slide off into someone's windshield.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Yes, the first time that happened to us, we had a sheet of ice crash on the ground - - scared it hell out of me until Dave went around and told me what it was - - we knew it was cold that morning.  After getting all set to leave, we went into the little cafe at the park and had breakfast.  Watched the first rig pull out and 10 minutes later pull back in.  They had closed I-10 just south of Van Horn, where we were, into El Paso because of black ice and the highway covered in both directions with jack-knifed semis.    I walked over to the office and signed up for another night.;)

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, Rich&Sylvia said:

It's very frightening when water on the slide topper freezes overnight and smashes into the ground when the slide is retracted the next morning.

Make sure no one is standing there.
Also, if ice forms on the roof and you plan on driving - beware that the ice can slide off into someone's windshield.

Not only ice on the roof but snow can fly off in big amounts onto the driver behind you.  Best to clear the roof before leaving or wait until it melts.

It's also fun when disconnecting utilities and someone inside pushes the button for the slide to come in with a topper on it.  A change of clothes may be necessary. 😯

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel