Tandem axle's off road.

rebar

Hello people!

I was wondering if there is a better tandem set up then I'm about to mention, short of independent suspension.

I want to install two 7k 8 lug straight axles (to use trailer spare for both trailer and truck) but use 4000# leaf springs because the trailer is only 7x16 and might weigh 8K wet.  The reason is,  I'm envisioning crossing many washed out ruts and gullies, creek crossings and baby head size boulder's along the way in colorado, so I need to prepare both axles to see the majority or all of the weight occasionally when one axle drops into a low spot.   The equalizer will be important and the best Ive found so far is the morryde CRE3000, but I doubt any equalizer will prevent loading one axle with most of the weight traveling on forest service roads. And then venturing off to find a secluded camp spot could become very rough.

I found another equalizer from Lippert called the Centerpoint equalizer.. It uses air bags instead of rubber.   Ive also read I should consider slipper leaf springs..

Does this sound like a good plan?  I know some of you would suggest torsion axles, but Ive read dirt gets into the rubber and tears it up and also, why do most of the serious off trailers use leaf spring?  I'm guessing so that it can be repaired instead of replaced like torsion would require.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

1997 Ram ctd 4x4 5 speed 3.54

Given the answers you got in the Boondocking section, and your vision of the terrain you intend to cross, I'd probably set up with slipper springs.

Build for heavier than expected, to gain some lifespan. At any point in time, you may have the weight of the whole side on one axle/spring set. Be aware that slipper springs can get noisy, that's why they're not more popular. As well, the front bushing handles all the torque of axle articulation, so they can wear faster. You'll also have to keep an eye on the slipper end, for wear.

In all seriousness, most of the time, trailers get left while the road is still decent, for a reason. The size and weight you're talking about is well over that of a typical "Expedition" trailer.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

22 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Given the answers you got in the Boondocking section, and your vision of the terrain you intend to cross, I'd probably set up with slipper springs.

Build for heavier than expected, to gain some lifespan. At any point in time, you may have the weight of the whole side on one axle/spring set. Be aware that slipper springs can get noisy, that's why they're not more popular. As well, the front bushing handles all the torque of axle articulation, so they can wear faster. You'll also have to keep an eye on the slipper end, for wear.

In all seriousness, most of the time, trailers get left while the road is still decent, for a reason. The size and weight you're talking about is well over that of a typical "Expedition" trailer.

Thanks Darryl&Rita.. 

Can you tell me the advantage slipper springs have over shackle springs?   Seems to me, the shackle adds side load strength because there are two bolts instead of one with slipper..

1997 Ram ctd 4x4 5 speed 3.54

Archived