Spring removal?

Exile

I’m scratching my head to figure out how the ride would change if i took a leaf out of my rear springs.  

It is a Peterbilt air trac, so the axle is mounted under a beam with spring on one end and air bag on the other.

apologies if pics don’t post  

26-A6-FF79-B4-FB-4-F83-8583-FD98-F324-C0

E87-A808-A-ABF8-4-B17-9-E53-2-E705-A55-E

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

My door sticker on this truck say to run tandems at 75 psi anyway (with 36k on them), so they’re at 70-75 now. 

Hmm, axle wrap, hadn’t considered that danger.  This suspension has a torque bar that would prevent the bottom of the axle housing from moving longitudinally, and the increased flexibility of the front spring might allow the air bag to become over extended.  Good point.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Yes, that's the design I was looking at. Better than the old skool Airleaf, but only marginally better. You may not end up with excessive axle wrap since you will never load tandems even close to their intended design. I note axle wrap in the bottom gears while leaving a stop with my Airleaf when loaded close to the single axle's rating.

Absolutely lower the tire pressure unless you are running at 36K! More than likely the load inflation table for your tire doesn't go below 65 psi, but I wouldn't hesitate to go below that if the number calc out to go lower. I run 75 psi in my drives, single axle, Jeep on the deck, and right at 19K axle weight.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Archived