KOA Mt. Pleasant SC

FL-JOE

Spending a week in this area and thought we would give this KOA a try.  There were a couple of issues upon arrival that I wouldn't go into except one, the power.  They have 50amp sites so we get all hooked up and within 10 minutes the pedestal breaker trips.  I go out and double check my surge protector and all the lights are green.  The breaker feels and looks like it is from the 70's, very weak.  I call the office and the yard guy they send over says their 50amp power will only run 1 or 2 a/c units and not 3.  I tell him we generally don't have issues in other parts of the country and the breaker looks shot.  He calls the office and they agree to send out a maintenance guy.

The maintenance guy shows up and changes out the breaker.  He tells me that it should hold better and needed changed.  However, he also states that the parks wiring is old and we won't be able to run three a/c units.  He also suggests that if we are running two a/c units that before using the microwave we shut one a/c off.

This certainly sounds to me like they are providing about 30amps of power to a 50amp plug.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

50AMP service is 100AMPs of 120 volt, since it is 240 volt service.  30AMP service is 30AMPs of 120 volt.  If you can run two A/Cs and the microwave, you will be using more than 30AMPs, more like 45 to 50AMPs of 120 volt.  So yes, they are not providing good power, but it is more than 30AMP.  A Hughes Autoformer ( https://hughesautoformers.com/  )would help, 

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

That makes sense Bill.  It is just a little disappointing when they claim to have full hookups with 50amp service and guarantee that rigs up to 80' long will have no issues.  Then when you arrive you find that as they lead you to your site there are tons of hanging branches that brush your coach, a 50amp plug in that isn't really a true 50amp, plus a 40' run to the sewer.  Their excuse is that it is an old outdated park, but they certainly don't warn you of that on their web site or when you call and question them.

No big deal, the temps are going down this week and we will make due.  While here we will be exploring the area and locate a better CG solution for future visits.  We had family move here and will be returning to the Charleston area, just not this run down KOA.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

We found this issue at many of the parks we stayed in traveling from Maine back to Texas. A lot of the 50 amp circuits are were showing significant voltage drop with as little as 20 - 30 amps on a leg. It looked like many of the parks were older, and the electrical services were old as well. I imagine that when they were installed the assumed "draw" across the park was much lower than they are seeing these days with more modern, "power hungry" RV's. I doubt that 75% of the 50 amp services we were on would have supported 3 A/C's running at the same time. Some of them had issues with an A/C, and electric water heater, and the microwave running simultaneously. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

9 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

We had family move here and will be returning to the Charleston area, just not this run down KOA.

Check out James Island County Park as it was great when we were there. It is a bit farther out but well worth the drive. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

11 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Check out James Island County Park as it was great when we were there. It is a bit farther out but well worth the drive. 

Thanks Kirk, we will check it out while in the area.  Reviews are mixed when I looked at this one before.  I just know this KOA won't work again even if it was a better maintained park.  When we leave there will be an issue because we have to head south on Rt. 17 which would involved cutting across 4 lanes of traffic and median (no stop light).  U.S. Rt. 17 in this area is way too busy for that to happen, unless you are departing about 3am.  Sometime this week I will have to investigate an alternative route turning right out of the park and going north to find a place to switch directions.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

16 hours ago, dumolebob said:

That’s the saddest story I’ve ever heard. Open a window!

We will be opening several windows after today due to temperature drops.  I appreciate the suggestion since I would have never thought of that on my own.

It is the principle of paying $300 to a CG for a FHU site that they claim has 50amp service, water, and sewer.  I even confirmed all of that on the phone with them along with asking them about obstructions for a 12'11" tall rig.  Then you arrive, pay your money up front, and find out they misrepresented about everything.  

Welcome to the forum, and if you are an RVer, safe travels.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

We stayed at Lake Aire RV Park in Hollywood, south of Charleston, and their 50AMP worked well - http://www.lakeairerv.com/ .

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thanks Bill, we will check that out also.  I was mistaken when I quoted what we are paying for a week here at the KOA.  It is $72 per night with the KOA membership discount.

We made a quick run out Rt. 17 and checked the Buck Hall Recreation Area.  It is a National Forest Park with only 14 sites and sits on the intercostal waterway.  I was shocked at how long most of the back in sites were.  I walked off a couple and they were between 80' and 85'.  Talked to the Camp Hosts and found out their water pump has went out and the park will be closing until it is fixed though.  They normally stayed booked 6 months out but we may attempt to go online and get a spot for next year when we can.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Archived