Replacing piezo igniter with something more reliable?

KnoxSwift

Has anyone replaced a piezo igniter with something more reliable? Maybe a Grill 9v or 1.5v igniter?

I have a 3-way  fridge and the piezo igniter just don't last.

I'm trying to think of options (Other than long matches, LOL) to replace these un-reliable  push button igniters with something more robust.

Any success stories, Ideas?

I replace the one in my mom's Bigfoot trailer with a hardware store AA battery operated unit. It was getting too hard for her to push the bypass, repeatedly hit the igniter, all while balancing on one knee.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Replaced the whole shooting match. The hardware store had variants with up to a 36" lead between the push-button and the igniter tip, down to 12 or 18".

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, mscans said:

Take a look at https://www.loveyourrv.com/rv-gas-stove-upgrade-mod-push-button-igniter/  this is only one of his many upgrades but looks like what you want.

Happy Trails

Thanks. This has answered a few questions I had. I have my BBQ igniter just trying to find the time to work on the mod...I'll post if it was successful or not. I hope this weekend I will get some time.

SUCCESS.  Was  able to keep  the  ignitor and high voltage cable. Just pulled the push button and the AAA 1 Terminal sparker fit exactly into the same spot. It sparks like crazy. It seems like this will work.

Still takes a while to light, but I can push and hold a button forever compared to those Piezo's that ware out every 100 clicks.

Archived