2005 Hurricane 31' Work Horse Elect Issue

homelesshartshorns

My house batteries are not charging from the Generator! They do charge from the engine. I also tried to charge them with a battery charger plugged into 110 from Generator but charger seems to not work? The Generator does run appliances.  I hope this is enough in information for someone to offer some suggestions?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Have you checked to see if you get 120V power to your outlets? Did you try plugging some 120V appliance or light into the outlet that you had your battery charger connected to so that you know that there was power there? 

Have you checked to see if there is a circuit breaker on the output of the generator that might be open? You didn't say what make or model your generator is but most of them do have a circuit breaker. Am I correct to assume that you mean an on-board generator set and not one that you have the RV plugged into? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The next step is to measure across the batteries for voltage without any 120V power available and then again with 120V to your converter or to the battery charger. In either case, the voltage should increase markedly when the 120V is available as that will indicate that charging current is being supplied. What voltage to expect depends on the condition of the batteries when you start. If your 12V appliances are still working you must have at least 10V+. If the refrigerator and water heater have stopped working it probably means less than 10V. If you still have dim lights inside, then you should have something less than 10V but more than 0V. If you have no lights, do the lights start to work when you use the generator or shore power? If things work when you have generator or shore power but do not when you don't, that points to the battery as the problem. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived