Best Laid Plans

After years of considering different winter travel location options, which RV type would best fit our needs, and numerous other related subjects, we ended up not following much of "our best laid plans".  We did buy a 25' TT last summer, but opted not to take it to AZ this year due to a late departure and my anxiety of ice road driving from MT.  We rented a park model in Yuma with the idea of renting others around the state only to find that is nearly unobtanium.  After having traveled around the greater Phoenix area to check out whether those towns were more to our liking, we decided Yuma is better for us.  We then started really being honest with ourselves whether we could do a season in a smaller TT (most likely with a dog next time) and decided that might be a challenge.  Not thinking a park model would be big enough or RV parks our style, we began considering double wide mobiles on the larger lots around the area.  After a deal on one fell through, we saw a PM here that came on the market and decided to have a look.  We now own a Park Model in Yuma. :lol:

My reason for creating this thread is simply to share with others who might be  stressing over the various decisions concerning RV and snowbird travel that even the best laid plans aren't always the one that will end up being the best.  We're not even sure whether we want to bring our TT down next season as it will be stored much of the time.  Funny how things turn out.

Excellent post. There are so many posts asking which rv or which park is best. None of us can answer that for anyone else. When we decided to buy an rv 13 years ago we thought we would use it to live in while we built 4 houses. We rented 2 class C's and a class A, then bought a 5th wheel because it was a good deal (we didn't have a truck to pull it). After we bought a truck and started taking it on vacation and for long weekends we decided we didn't want to go home. We quit our jobs, sold the house, gave up the option on the land and went full time. Our 12 year anniversary is March 9. When I see any post asking those questions, I always state in my post to buy a used rv and live in it for a year before you decide to buy new. You never know what the future holds. . . .

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

This really should have been in the beginning RV forum.  This post clearly points out the need to think about RV options before laying down plans or buying a unit.  All of us have different interests.  To me a recreational vehicle means vehicle.  I want to travel, see remote beautiful areas and still have an acceptable level of comfort.  I am willing to compromise with a smaller RV because of the mobility and ease of staying in remote locations without hook ups.  Others, like the OP, want space and comfort and are willing to sit in one place for extended periods of time.  Again, everyone needs to think before buying.

Excellent post.  Actually I hope the young couple that posted recently about buying a $40,000 RV and traveling around full time for a year reads it.

Everyone can't sell off their house and most of their belongings and travel full time in an RV, just like a lot of folks can't spend 7 months in their sticknbrick and 5 months wintering in their RV someplace.  Everyone is built different.  It may sound like a really good idea until you do it for awhile and find out you hate it.

Congrats on your new place and enjoy!

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Archived