33' vs. 38' Length 5th Wheels

Darin Kent

Is there a huge difference in towing 33' vs. 38'?  What about availability to National Parks w/ full hookups (not dry camping as I know those are smaller) and most RV spots.  Do bigger rigs have many more issues with that?  I'm asking because I have an option to purchase a 38' 5th Wheel with several amenities vs. a 35' with similar ones. 

Also, I'm noticing the newer rigs are coming with 50amp service.  Does this pose a big issue in finding sites as well?  I know you can get the converter plug but heard you have to be careful with the devices your using, etc.

Regards,

New 5th Wheeler (did have a travel trailer)

First, National Parks rarely have any hookups, just dry camping. Many National Parks have a 32' limit.

The 33' vs. 38' is so dependent on weight and your tow vehicle. I feel a 33' would be more manoeuvrable and easier to fit into a State or National Park than a 38'. If you are fulltiming you might want to consider the 38' and all the extra storage.

Most commercial parks have 50 amp, some COE, NF have 50 amp but most likely 30 amp. Make sure you get a converter plug.

All this is based on my experience.

As stated, you will find very few national parks that have full hookups.  However, even the dry camping sites in many parks will take a 40'. We've done it in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Zion, Bryce, Glacier and others. 

How often will you stay in national parks compared to other kinds of parks? I doubt that you will be traveling from national park to national park.  If you find a national park without big sites there are always places to stay just outside the parks. Therefore, I would recommend that you purchase a RV that you can stay in comfortably for all your trips and not choose one for solely national parks.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Check the weight of both  trailers and figure what you can safely tow and for that length if you get into hot weather you more than likely will want both ACs going which requires that 50A and its no biggy to plug in the adapter for a 30A when 50 isnt available

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

We went from a 32 to 38 to 40'. Yes, there are a few places where we can't fit. Often its not the length but whether one can make the turn into the space.  We've noticed the site descriptions on reserveamerica.com are very conservative WRT site length in FL so we've been known to fudge a bit.  We'll see if that holds true as we make our way north this summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Having volunteered at an AZ State Park we never had an issue with big rigs.  The Prevosts would pull in and set up camp next to the guy in the tent.  Call ahead just to check if you go big.  I had a 40' Beaver and a little 31 Rexhall.  The Rexhall felt like a sports car compared to the Beaver but once in you could not beat the Beaver.

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

Archived