cb raidio antennas

runaway parents

CB is not much of a game for me, but consider any radio antenna like this: CB is 27 MHZ. We want a 1/4 wave length antenna for best performance - also a good ground plane. So, take 468/27 = 17.33 feet, or 208". That is 1/2 wave for 27MHZ. Divide it by 2 to get 1/4 wave. Now we have a length of wire or an antenna 102-104 inches long. That is too long for a HDT unless you want the fishin' pole like antenna swinging in the breeze. Looks like we gotta shorten it, but still keep it resonant and a match for 50 ohm coax. This is accomplished in one of four ways by using a helical coil to electrically extend the antenna - coil is base mount, center mount or top mount. Or, as in the case of your Ugly Stick, a continuous but variable pitch winding over a fiberglass rod which will make the radiator thick and heavy. Personally, I like the base coil type of antenna since it puts all the weight at the bottom and a relatively thin stainless steel whip on top to cut through the wind. Add in a spring at the base so tree limbs won't tear it off. Again be sure to have a good metal ground plane that is in the 102 to 104 inch range. This can be the metal of the vehicle body or a hidden wire running along or through the truck cab. Dual or "co-phased" CB antennas are a gimmick on a HDT. To work properly they need to be precisely spaced from each other, which ain't gonna happen. A single element antenna will give the best overall performance. Go for a base load with a stainless whip - also easier to tune for lowest SWR. The longer the radiator, the better the antenna will perform.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I am running a single Hustler antenna for my CB on the drivers side mount using the Hustler mount and a good ground. It is a center load antenna and it has good range. On my 06 Volvo, I was told that the passenger antenna was for am/fm radio and the driver side was for the CB. So, I just ran my own mount. The factory antennas were long gone when I bought this truck. I intend to install a FM antenna in the passenger factory mount to see if I get a little better radio reception. We shall see. Jeremy

After breaking a numb er of those fiberglass ugly sticks I put on a pair of wire whips. Don't look quite so cool, but they don't break on every tree branch along residential streets.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Archived