Dometic Awning Stuck in Out Position

Paul James

I have a Dometic patio awning, 19 ft, on a 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y that is stuck in the out position. The 12V circuit breaker is not popped, it's in the on position. When I operate the rocker switch I don't hear anything, no clicking or motor noise. I'm plugged into shore power and batteries are fully charged.

It was working fine one day, then nothing. It is not connected to a weather guard cut-off. Any ideas?

The first thing I would do is check for power at the switch. If you have a meter you can also check continuity through the switch. If you have power to the switch and it is passing through, then you need to look at the motor for power and if there is no power at the switch then the problem is before the switch. It could also be a bad breaker too so double check everything you can.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

If you can get up to the top of the right support arm, you'll find the connector between your awning motor and the power. It is black rubber. Disconnect it and use a multi-meter to check for 12 volts while someone is pushing the "retract" switch. You can check at the switch first if you'd like, but if you have power there you'll need to get up to the motor connector and check it there as well.

If you are getting power at the connector then your motor may have burned out. Mine just did (but in the closed position) and it had a definite burned smell to it.

If the motor is burned out there is a process for retracting the awning. It is definitely a two person process. First you insert the awning strap (you did keep that, didn't you??) into the slot in the awning tube and move it to the center. While someone holds tension on the awning you go back up to the right side support arm and remove the two hex-head screws from the casting. The person holding the strap then allows the awning to roll itself back in. Once in you can secure the awning arms with zip-ties for travel and get the motor replaced later.

This entire assembly is spring loaded so keep it under control!!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

You may want to call Dometic about your awning. Make sure you have your serial number. It will be on the tube that the awnin rolls on . On the left side when the awning is out.

There was a problem with some new motors that went bad. If it is one of those they should provide a new one under warranty .

Test the voltage at the end of the arm as describe before. If there is power there it most likely a bad motor. If it is bad it needs replaced. Dometic can help on how to roll it up without the moto operational .

Safe trave , Vern

Archived