RAM Flywheel Replacement - Dual vs Single Mass

Kevin H

I need to replace the clutch on my 2011 RAM 3500 pick-up. The shop is recommending going with a single-mass flywheel rather than a dual-mass (OEM). I'm hearing conflicting opinions regarding vibrations and transmission issues, Any ideas??

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

I had transmission issues I think it was $6700 worth for a new transmission ! The garage and the online Dodge forum reccomended the lighter clutch so it could slip if it had to rather than shelling out the gears and so far it works just fine but I also have the 5.9 with the 60 HP chip, Yours is pushing out a few more horses.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I'm not an expert on this so I looked at a few sites and they all seem to say the same thing. If you are stock the dual mass flywheel is fine but if you have bumped the engine you might be better off with a solid, single mass flywheel.

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/DualMassvsSolidFW.htm

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

You may want to go to these sites and search for the topics: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/

How many miles do you have on the truck? I got 189,000 on the OEM clutch fulltiming pulling a 40' fiver. When I replaced it, I saw no need for Hi-Performance clutch or flywheel. I worked on race cars for 14 years and I just never saw the need for aftermarket stuff on street vehicles.

Thanks everyone. As usual, this forum is a great resource. Everyone offers valuable food for thought. Not sure exactly what I am going to do yet.

The truck has 108k miles. I was starting out on a very steep driveway the other day while towing my 14k trailer. Felt it slip. A few days later we were towing again. It repeatedly slipped when the rpms were around 1800. I immediately turned around, parked the trailer and called my shop. Truck drives fine without the load.

Shop strongly recommends single mass. They routinely replace clutches on work trucks hauling heavy loads. We discussed staying with OEM dual mass or changing to single mass. I also called some performance diesel shops around the country. After explaining that I pull a heavy trailer they unanimously said single mass is the way to go.

Sometimes due dilligence gives me a headache :wacko:

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Archived