Quivira NWR Kansas

gjhunter01

We just signed up for Quivira NWR in central Kansas. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions to share about this refuge. We will volunteer for a short time, mid Oct to Mid Nov which will also be the peak migration for the Sand Hill crane and some Whooping cranes. The job will be to drive the refuge park twice daily (COE truck), to monitor crane sightings and help out in the visitor center. Was told they had another RV site available with FHU if anyone is interested. Call Barry, 620-486-2393 at the Quivira NWR VC.

Greg

• 3 months later...

Well, it turned out to be a great volunteer gig for mid Oct to Mid Nov. The weather was unusually warm, mid 70's with a couple of frosty mornings and some windy days. I visually accounted for 84 whooping cranes during the stay. It was interesting seeing 30k geese and wild foul lifting off at sunrise and a new batch arriving at sunset. On some days, I built display signs and painted others. The naturalist, Barry introduced me to birding and I now have a new hobby. The wife ran the visitor center which was slow most days with usually under 10 visitors. There are 2 RV sites in the middle of the refuge about 4 miles from the visitor center, but the mosquitoes and lady bugs were so bad we moved after a week. We then ended up next to the visitor center which was much better even considering no sewer hook up. The people were excellent to work with.

Greg

Archived