Running Light / Parking Light Issue

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Please keep in mind that this is a 1998 Volvo 610- Very few electronics compared to the newer trucks-

Are the stock truck running lights divided front and rear?

Running / Parking lights on the front work, as well as the clearance lights on top of the cab. But the running / Parking lights on the rear are not lighting.

Brakes and turn signals work so the lights themselves work.

This truck was built Pre-Jackalopee so the rear lights work off the original truck light harness that was installed at the factory.

I have checked fuses- all good-

I do not have the original fuse panel cover to reference fuse positions, so all were pulled and visually checked.

I have unplugged and replugged all the harness I can find that run to the rear.

Are the rear lights run off a relay? Haven't checked those but don't know which to check.

To have lights in the interim, I ran a wire from the Jackalopee "Running" lights to the rear and cut and spliced the harness. But would like ro resolve the original issue.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Please keep in mind that this is a 1998 Volvo 610- Very few electronics compared to the newer trucks-

Are the stock truck running lights divided front and rear?

Running / Parking lights on the front work, as well as the clearance lights on top of the cab. But the running / Parking lights on the rear are not lighting.

Brakes and turn signals work so the lights themselves work.

This truck was built Pre-Jackalopee so the rear lights work off the original truck light harness that was installed at the factory.

I have checked fuses- all good-

I do not have the original fuse panel cover to reference fuse positions, so all were pulled and visually checked.

I have unplugged and replugged all the harness I can find that run to the rear.

Are the rear lights run off a relay? Haven't checked those but don't know which to check.

To have lights in the interim, I ran a wire from the Jackalopee "Running" lights to the rear and cut and spliced the harness. But would like ro resolve the original issue.

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I wish I could help. I am wishing you some good luck in finding the problem. Not good with electrical stuff.

Hope to see you in a couple of days,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Jim: Here is the applicable schematic From Mark Bruss's site. If should be correct for your truck (98 VN)

http://www.dmbruss.com/images/Schematics/V4_PV776_370_98228_1_MarkerOverheadLamps_SunVisor_VN_B2_98.pdf

If you look at the Left side of the Schematic itself, you will see that the Left and Right Front and Left and RIght Rear running lamps are all connected together on the same circuit: WIre# 56 at the splice (upper middle left). You will also note that wire # 90 leaves that splice and runs to the rear running lamps. SO if your front running lights work but the back do not, you must have a break in wire # 90.

I suggest checking this wire at pin B in connector 15 (see location shown). Turn on the Lights (disconnect the JAckalopee feed). Make sure you measure the side from the cab.

If you have 12V at Conn. 15, the problem is back toward the tailights---check pin B in connector 16 at the Left tail.

If you DON'T have 12V on that wire, then you probably have a problem at the splice, and the best solution may be to just make that Jackalopee feed permanent.

Hope this helps! If you need more details, please drop me a PM.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

THANK YOU JEFF! Thank you Mark for donating it!

That's what I was looking for. Just couldn't find it when I was looking for it on google.

Looking under the truck from the rear, there is a cross member behind the trans that has a harness run across it. It splits and runs forward and aft on the passenger side. The connections must be in the loom or tied where I could see them yesterday. Going to need a spotlight and microscope to see the numbers on the bundle of #18 all black wires with 16 years of grime in the loom.

Driving around New Orleans for 3 months has given this truck a thorough shaking. I've found more issues I didn't know about than I really wanted to fix, but there is nothing loose, shaking, squeaking, now.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived