Bad alternator, and puzzling readings of voltage

We moved from Yuma to Tucson yesterday, and after about an hour, I started to notice variable readings form the coaches alternator output. First saw it seemed a bit low on the dash gauge, then shifted over to Silverleaf's display. In a one to two minute period, I'd see readings of 12.4V, 12.8V, 13.3V, 12.3V, etc. fluctuations.

We were 100% SOC on the house batteries when we headed out, and the Chassis Battery should have been fully charged too.

I did not ask my wife to go check, but I assume that my MidNite Classic 150 in Absorb mode. And that our Magnum Smart Battery Combiner should have been able to shift power over to the Chassis battery.

We started the Generator, and the Magnum MS2812 Charger kicked on. This immediately changed both the dash gauge and Silverleaf voltage readings up to the high 13 and at times low 14V range. We drove the balance of the way on this.

What confuses me is why I was not seeing the MidNite Classic 150 solar power feed reflected as I was with the MS2812 charger?

(In camp, it looks like the alternator is on it's last leg. It's the Leece Neville 160A model. Will probably replace it with the Delco Remy 180A when we are off of this trip.)

TIA for any thoughts,

Smitty

(And note: This is the same Chassis battery that I was afraid I had loss due to blowing a fuse in the Magnum SBC. The SBC is working well now, and I thought the Chassis battery had come back to life well too... Just mentioned this as I had asked for help here on that issue about 3-4 weeks ago.)

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Sounds like the alternator is about wore out. It should at least be at 12.8 to 13.8 + when using.

On the rest of your trip it starts to stay by your Silverleaf's at 12.5 & below.

Just start using the generator while driving until you get home.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Yep, from some CC member networkings, looks like this one is on it's way out:)! And OK with that, as I like the reports of the Delco Remy unit running cooler, and much more problem free. Going to the 180A is a plus too. And, they're about 1/2 the costs of the LN units. Of course, rebuilding and maybe updating it to a higher output, would probably be the least expensive. I'll get some numbers and if the Delco unit is not that much more then a rebuild, I'll go that route.

I looked at the SBC, and all things are fine on that front. So completely confuses me why the MidNite Classic 150 Solar Panel feed to the house, was not also SBC wise feeding the Chassis. (Just looked again now, on shore power, and it is for sure working correctly. In High Voltage Disconnect mode now.) Wish I had seen what the SBC showed before we turned on the generator. Suppose it was in the same High Voltage Disconnect mode then too, as the MidNite Classic pumps some high voltage into he Lifeline House Batteries. May have to play with the SBC voltage settings again.

Suppose that is why the Chassis was not getting power. Where as the Magnum immediately AGM1 Lifeline settings are all low enough to flow thru t the Chassis.

Was confused by the lack of solar feed to the chassis, but HVD is probably the reason(?).

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived