Need New Carpet

Kevin H

We are looking to get the carpet updated in our 5th wheel. Can anyone share some details as to brand and style as well as installers and cost? Most importantly, how well you like or dislike what you had installed and would you do it again.

We need to have carpet as we spend a lot of time in cool-to-cold regions and need the warmth. Otherwise, we would rip it up and put in vinyl like we did in our MH.

Thanks -- Kevin

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

We have put new carpet in our fifth wheel twice now in the 4 years of full timing. For a cost of about $150, we plan to just replace it every 2 years going forward rather than spend any $$ on cleaning it. For the 2 slides, I used a utility knife and cut along the desk cabinets. For the other slide, I removed the table and couch and just pulled up the carpet in one piece. For the carpet upstairs you can either cut along the bed base or I was able to cut around the slide mounts, then pull the carpet out from underneath, either way works. I used the old carpet pieces as a templet to cut new pieces out of a carpet remnant. I took the 2 slide pieces back to the carpet store and they bound the exposed carpet edge for a $1/foot. Be careful here, we found prices ranging from $1 to $4/foot labor for binding at different stores. Putting in the slide pieces was easy, I used a staple gun along the edges, shag is easier than berber to work with here. For over the metal slide edge, I used double sided tape. The upstairs went in with staples and a new metal strip. The steps were the trickiest part, just follow the old pattern and staple underneath.

If you didn't want to DIY, you could drive the rig to a carpet store and they could quote the job and probably install it in the parking lot for you. Also, get a good pad. We had installed wood floor for the main floor, so no carpet needed there.

Greg

We had new carpet installed in our 5er. We had to shop a little as the installation prices varied a lot. Some wouldn't even do it. Finally an installer looking for work gave a reasonable price and we went for it. The local carpet store recommended him and praised his work. There are a lot of different carpet levels and prices. We chose a middle of the road carpet that claims to be very stain resistant. So far it is holding up well.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Archived