TPMS suggestion

docj

The only thing I absolutely detest about my 2014 CR-V is the TPMS system which is prone to false alarms and which, even when it is working correctly, can only alert you to the fact that ONE of your tires might be slightly above (or below) pressure. Unlike my Malibu's TPMS which provided pressures for each tire, this one can be nothing but a nuisance even with the latest software updates Honda can provide. Twice today it alerted and neither time was there a real issue. Except that I had to stop the car, remove the TST TPMS sensors and check the tire pressures!

Enough, I cried and picked up the phone and called TST. For a total investment of $39 they are going to ship me a monitor with power cord that I can use in the toad ALL THE TIME so it effectively eliminates the need to bother with the Honda system.

For those who wonder why I couldn't do the same thing with my existing monitor, the TST system is designed to allow you to stop displaying the toad's sensors so you don't get alert beeps when the car is disconnected from the MH, but there's no simple way to stop displaying the MH sensors so you can use the monitor in the toad without the MH being connected. You could reprogram the existing monitor each time, but that would be a nuisance since the alert "limits" for the MH and toad tires are so different and switching them all around each time wouldn't be worth the $39 savings IMO.
I know that some of you on this forum have CR-Vs (I don't think the 2012-2013 models have this problem; the TPMS, I believe, was changed in 2014 to match the one on the Accord) and I know that quite a few also have TST TPMS systems, but the idea for doing this is by no means restricted to just TST systems. If anyone else shares my degree of frustration here's an easy solution.
Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The only thing I absolutely detest about my 2014 CR-V is the TPMS system which is prone to false alarms

Joel - there is a TSB on this. Honda Service Bulletin 14-006. Let me know if you need a copy, but your dealer should be aware of it.

Joel - there is a TSB on this. Honda Service Bulletin 14-006. Let me know if you need a copy, but your dealer should be aware of it.

I was told that I have the most recent update on my TPMS. However, even if it does prevent false alarms it doesn't tell you which tire is losing air. IMHO that makes it practically useless. If I have to get out of the car, remove my TST sensors and measure the pressure in each tire that's a total wast of time IMO.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I was told that I have the most recent update on my TPMS.

I had one dealer tell me the same and that there was no TSB. The other dealer saw the indicator light and knew immediately that we needed to have the TSB applied.

Not sure what Honda calls it; at FoMoCo it's an "Oasis" report, but a different dealer should be able to pull your entire dealer service history based on VIN and know if 14-006 has actually been applied.

We had issues weekly (despite recalibrating the TPMS) until 14-006 was applied. Haven't had another issue for a year now.

Michelle

At this point I've already spent the $39; I don't honestly care if the Honda TPMS works or not. IMO the lack of actionable data (which tire is low? how low is it?) makes it a poor excuse for a TPMS. What I've done will provide peace of mind and will provide me "information" rather than "data." There's a big difference.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Archived