Moab, UT to Jackson Hole, WY

Dmworthi

I'm having a problem finding a decent place to stay while traveling from Moab to Jackson Hole. I don't mind going off course a bit. I have some time to kill if there's anything interesting nearby. I don't need something directly en route. Any suggestions? Thanks

If you take US-191 North from Moab, you can stop at Vernal where there is Dinosaur National Monument and the Utah Field House State Park. There are commercial campgrounds in Vernal and a nice campground on the Green River in the National Monument. Nearby Steinacker and Red Fleet State Parks also have campgrounds. This route will take you through Flaming Gorge. There is a Forest Service campground near the dam and two commercial campgrounds in the Dutch John area. Rock Springs has comercial campgrounds, a Flying J and a Walmart. North of Rock Springs you will go through Boulder and Pinedale which have commercial campgrounds and there is a BLM campground at Warren Bridge.

There are some steep grades on this route so if you have a Mountain Directory, I suggest you take a look at it if you are not experienced in mountain driving.

The Heber City area is nice - a couple state parks, including Jordanelle. A day trip can be into Park City to view the past Olympic venue or into Salt Lake City. Bear Lake State Park in Idaho near Montpelier is a pretty area but not a lot to do unless you fish or hike. Continue up WY89 through Afton, Alpine, Hoback Junction into Jackson - a very nice drive.

If you want the interstate take I-15 and Massacre Rocks State Park on I-86 is great - the Oregon Trail area. Then take I-15 to Idaho Falls and pick up Hwy 26 taking you into Alpine. Then north to Jackson on 89. Don't get on 22 at Victor, ID to get into Jackson. It's very steep.

On the left just before entering the town of Jackson is a very large Smith's market, liquor store, fuel to stock up before entering Teton Nat'l Park. There's also another store a little further on the right - Albertson's, I believe. Fill with fuel before the national park.

For Grand Teton Nat'l Park we usually stay at Gros Ventre campground - no reservations but 300 sites and we've always gotten a spot with our 40' motorhome - dry camping but dump station and water fill. A little further north is Colter Bay campground - again 300 non-reservable sites with dump and water fill. Next door is Colter Bay RV with full hookups.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

As TrailerTraveler said, the trip north to Vernal and then Ashley National Forest and Flaming Gorge would be well worth it. Commercial campgrounds are aplenty and Ashley offers a wide assortment of dispersed camping (boondocking). Continuing north you have Bear Lake, Paris or Alpine WY, and even Hobart Junction. Anything north of Hobart will reflect the tourist trap that is Jackson Hole.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Archived