Allegro Bus vs Phaeton

tb919

Hi Folks, back again to get everyone's opinions about the Bus or the Phaeton. Let's just agree that both are great coaches but there's a pretty big price difference between the two. Other than the "lipstick" and boy is it a pretty color :D on the Bus what would be the reason to go with the Bus?

We originally wanted a 36 or 37 footer since it's just the two of us and our smallish dogs and we aren't full timers but the Phaeton 36 comes only with a queen bed and the bathroom is rather tiny. I've always liked the Bus 37 AP but wonder about that step in the back between the bed and the wardrobe. The 40 Phaeton AH has it too. Has anyone found it to be a hazard?

As always I look forward to everyone's input. We are narrowing the search down and getting closer to finding the coach that will take us all the places we want to go in comfort.

Thanks!

There is a lot of differences that add money, at least comparing what comes standard. A bigger engine since the 37 and 40' Bus have a 450HP engine, while the Phaeton has a 380HP engine. The Bus comes with a pure sinewave inverter and is "all electric", which means it uses diesel (or electric) to heat and for hot water, plus a residential fridge and inductance cooktop. These are options on the Phaeton. There are other differences, but these jumped out at me looking at the online information.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

The Bus is built on Tiffin's Powerglide Chassis which has independent front suspension, the Phaeton is built on a Freightliner chassis, except for the 44OH, which is not IFS. The Phaeton has Flexsteel furniture, the Bus has Villa furniture. We found the step in the rear to help DW get in and out of the bed on our prior 40ft '08, the 42ft '15 has the step, but it is a step up into the rear bath which is no problem. You probably wouldn't notice the difference between the 380 HP Phaeton and the 450 HP Bus. We had a 360 HP ISC engine in our 08, and it had plenty of power. We do have the 450 HP engine in our '15 42LH, and it performs well. The GVWR on the Bus is somewhat higher than on a comparable Phaeton. We didn't want all electric so that was a motivator for us to stay with a Phaeton when we upgraded. For what it's worth, the Bus has a wood grained steering wheel, the Phaeton's is leather wrapped!

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

The cooktop on the 2015 Tiffins were 240 Volt units which would not operate on 30 Amp service. We spend several months a year in 30 amp campgrounds that don't approve of running the generator every time you want to use the stove top! (as we are now.) I understand that the 2016 Tiffins now use a cooktop that is 120V which will run on 30 amps. You probably can't run much else though while the cooktop is in use and you are on 30 Amps. I asked Bob Tiffin if he would build my coach with Aqua Hot and a gas cooktop, he declined. No place to put a propane tank, since the Aqua Hot takes up the space where the propane tank would go, By the way, the Energy Manager that the Tiffins have does a bang up good job of managing power while you are on 30 amp service, including kicking on the inverter when extra juice is needed, and shedding loads as appropriate.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Ahh good things to know. I watch our power use even now in our little Aspect C class. Don't run the ac when using the microwave or if I need to pump up or deflate the air in the sleep number bed. And forget using anything when I engage my powerful hair dryer!

I'd have no problems with the Phaeton if it came in a shorter coach with a king bed. So it will probably be the Bus. Any tips on where to go for a better than average price? I've heard there's a dealer in AL that deals pretty well.

The Bus is built on Tiffin's Powerglide Chassis which has independent front suspension, the Phaeton is built on a Freightliner chassis, except for the 44OH, which is not IFS. The Phaeton has Flexsteel furniture, the Bus has Villa furniture. We found the step in the rear to help DW get in and out of the bed on our prior 40ft '08, the 42ft '15 has the step, but it is a step up into the rear bath which is no problem. You probably wouldn't notice the difference between the 380 HP Phaeton and the 450 HP Bus. We had a 360 HP ISC engine in our 08, and it had plenty of power. We do have the 450 HP engine in our '15 42LH, and it performs well. The GVWR on the Bus is somewhat higher than on a comparable Phaeton. We didn't want all electric so that was a motivator for us to stay with a Phaeton when we upgraded. For what it's worth, the Bus has a wood grained steering wheel, the Phaeton's is leather wrapped!

the 380/1050 verses 450/1250 is like nite and day . what are u talking about? the step in the bus became less after 2008 because they use a lowered engine assembly in 2009 forward

The bus in 2008 had the 425 ISL verses the weak powered 360 /1050 isc in the phaeton

Marlin Ingram in Montgomery, Davis Motor Homes in Memphis, TN, or Sherman Motorhomes in Sherman, MS. We sent bid requests to all three, and Davis won hands down when a trade was involved. They were all fairly close on a straight buy. This on an ordered coach that they had not floor planned.

Yes, the ISL 450 is a lot more powerful than the ISL 380. That said, unless you are drag racing motorhomes, you will only really notice the difference when you are climbing long grades in the Rocky mountains or on the west coast, which might be less than 1 percent of most folks driving time. I have no experience driving the ISL 380. FWTW, my current ISL 450 gets better fuel economy than the ISC 360 in the 2008 Phaeton, and my current coach is significantly heavier than the previous one.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Archived