Newmar Canyon Star 3921 likes and dislikes?

CDR

Hello all,

The wife and I are considering the Canyon Star 3921. We have a "streetable" SXS and want to pull a boat, so either this or a truck conversion.

We want to know you opinion on this Newmar product.

Thanks

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Curt, you may want to also ask the Newmar Owner's Forum over at iRV2 (and search the archives there).

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/

We have a 2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3424, in which we've been full timing for about 20 months. It has worked out very well for us. After the initial shake out, we have not had any major issues. Newmar build quality is good, and their customer service has been excellent. The Ford engine and transmission has been perfectly reliable, but not every Ford dealer will work on it, so I've had to call around when I've needed an oil change.

Here are a few things to consider. The Ford V10 has adequate, but not ample, power. We crossed the continental divide on I-70 several times last summer, and on the climb up to 11,000 feet, we were in the slow lane with the semis, down to 25 mph near the top. Newmar has a bit of a reputation for building heavy coaches, so make sure the cargo capacity is sufficient for your situation. We are at the weight limit for the rear axle, and ran out of available weight well before we ran out of room. Finally, our floor plan has a full wall slide. We love the space this provides, but the slide needs a bit of TLC to keep it in alignment (see the iRV2 forum for info), and the slide topper catches a lot of wind. In windy locations, we try to keep the full wall slide on the leeward side, and still sometimes need to bring it in when the wind picks up. I mention this because the 3921 also has a long slide.

These aren't necessarily Newmar specific issues, but just things to consider as you evaluate your options. Bottom line, I'd certainly purchase a Newmar gas coach again.

Let me know if you have more specific questions. And good luck with your search.

David

While I have no experience owning a Newmar product, I have numerous friends and acquaintances who have and it is very rare to hear of an unhappy owner of one. I have only known well one couple who traveled in a Canyon Star now for about 5 years and we have heard of no significant complaints. If we were to shop for a new gas class A it would be on our short list.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Love my Canyon Star! Have a full Banks system so no power issues. Full time so I am loaded up and pull a Scion xB 2nd generation--gas mileage averages 7.5 at 60mph and that is up and down the Teton's and back to FL. People at Newmar have great customer service--have ordered parts from them directly.

Don Kostyal

CMSgt, ret USAF

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Archived