Hints on saving data use while on the road ?

I'm going to head out and work from my TT starting in March. Internet access is the real issue. I find that FaceBook is a real hog. Need to shut it off completely unless you are on WiFi.....And don't forget and leave it set to "WiFi Only" and then turn on your hotspot. Your phone or tablet will find the HotSpot as a WiFi and start eating your data. My understanding is that many videos on FaceBook keep running in the background whether you are viewing them or not. Can someone verify that this is true.

How do APPs" on my phone affect data use.

Any other hints to reduce data use.

I only have a 3g plan currently so I hope to use WiFi as much as I can. I find McDonalds usually has sufficient WiFi for my needs which are usually emails, reading a document, accessing SalesForce and a little bit of Excel and Word work.

I just ordered a WiFi Extender with outside antenna and a WeBOOST 4G-M from TechnoRV to improve my ability to connect with the internet.

I have a Sprint and a Verizon HotSpot and a Apple 5S phone

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

rbertalotto, on 12 Jan 2016 - 06:19 AM, said:rbertalotto, on 12 Jan 2016 - 06:19 AM, said:

My understanding is that many videos on FaceBook keep running in the background whether you are viewing them or not. Can someone verify that this is true.

If you are talking about the videos in posts that run automatically, you can turn the automatic feature off. If you're talking about videos in the ads that are on the right-hand side of the page, I have an ad blocker and don't see any of those ads.

However, after a conversation with Verizon about data use, I now view Facebook on my phone except in very rare instances. Facebook on a phone is optimized for mobile use and a lot of the garbage you see when you log into Facebook on your computer isn't there on your phone (like all the ads).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Since you are one of our MIA members, I'll direct you to some of the articles we have on this topic:

Optimizing Social Media Browsing for Minimal Data Usage – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram

Common Data Hogs

Adjusting Video Streaming Quality to Save Bandwidth

Also, be sure to read over the 'Managing Bandwidth' chapter in your included copy of The Mobile Internet Handbook. :)

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Archived