Volvo Power Window Repair

rickeieio

So, I finally got the truck in the shop where it's a balmy 55 degrees. Took the driver's door panel apart, with the help of the Resource Guide (Darn little screw in the top of the door latch handle).

The window goes down fine, but drags and wants to tilt on the way up. Grabbing it with your hand and pulling helps. After a bunch of poking and prodding, using a flashlight and mirror. I determined that the roller is missing from one of the regulator arms. 2001 770. Anyone know if that part is available without buying the whole assembly?

In my diagnosis, I was operating the window with the truck key on, but the motor "off". After a couple of minutes, everything died. Much testing and cursing later, it suddenly worked again. During the course of testing, I checked battery voltage and had 12.3v, but I put a small charger on it anyway. After voltage came back "on", I tested again, had 12.8 at the battery and 11.6 at the door switch. Pretty significant drop, but there's a lot of wire for those little electrons to traverse.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...

Update.........................

Plastic sliding block was missing from the regulator track. Volvo had the complete regulator "on sale" for only $200. Nahhh....

I cut a new block from a sheet of scrap HDPE, drilled a slightly under size hole in the middle, and slipped it over the "rivet" that protruded from the regulator arm. A little spritz of silicone lube on the tracks and buttoned it up. No parts left over, so all's good.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Reminds me of my parents Impala SS. The nylon guides on the power windows would always fail. $450 replacement. Joined the Impala forum and someone there figured out you could buy replacement guides for $2 from another car. I must've fixed the power windows on their car 6 or more times!

Archived