Removing sofa bed

Bruce H

This winter I plan on removing the sofa bed. Not confortable, can't stretch out on it to watch tv, kind of sags in the middle. Being one person in this MH I feel a euro recliner and end table would suit my needs better. Here's the problem, removing it. It can be unbolted from underneath the side out. I would not be able to get it out the door as one unit. The fold out bed is riveted to the sofa frame, no nuts and bolts to remove. Other than hacksawing this frame from the sofa, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce,

Those were exactly my feelings about the sofa-bed in our fifth wheel when we went full-time last year. Our sofa-bed came apart in three pieces - the base, the fold-out section, and the back. There were some locking pins holding the fold-out part onto the main pivot hardware in the base and it was all very easy. The pieces were very easy to get out the door with the help of a friend. We already had Ekornes furniture, so my Ekornes recliner and ottoman (very light-weight) went in the empty space. I couldn't be happier. We're looking for a good carpenter at one of our stays to build a low storage cabinet that will double as a side table in the leftover space.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Ours (a flexsteel) would not quite fit through the door so I removed the door frame. A lot of screws but not a hard thing to do. That got me 4" more width and then took it out on end (like Swarton suggested). IIRC, I also took the feet off of it. That was 7 years ago and we have never missed it. My computer stuff now sits where it was across the rear of the 5th wheel. I will suggest that you tightly tie the mechanism so it can't try to open up on you as you work with it. That can be very awkward when gravity is no longer helping you keep it closed.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Archived