Dometic 1402 quit cooling

John Laninga

My 6 year old Dometic 1402 "Side by Side" quit cooling on both freezer and fridge side. I've run through the diagnostics, and confirmed that I have AC and 12VDC available and all door sensors are OK. Both fridge and freezer motors run when tested. The only possible error is the test for on surface sensors (diagnostic test 04) which return -6 and 00 as values, which are not correct temperatures.

I have tried running it on AC only, all motors run but no cooling. I switched it to manually to Gas and same thing... I can hear that the flame is burning and everything runs but no cooling .

My preference is actually fixing the fridge, so if you have any suggestions to try, that would be great. But I am prepared to have it fixed or even replace it with another 1402 or even with a residential fridge. I am in the Houston area, so if you know someone I would appreciated recommendations.

Merry Christmas,

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

If the fridge is turned on for a few hours then you can check for its operation. There is a container in the system that is about a quart in volume laying sideways and has some tubing attached to it, that should be hot to the touch. It is on the rear of the unit

If it is not hot to the touch then the cooling unit is plugged.

It was important to check for leakage before the unit was operated again.

Safe Travels, Vern

My 6 year old Dometic 1402 "Side by Side" quit cooling on both freezer and fridge side. I've run through the diagnostics, and confirmed that I have AC and 12VDC available and all door sensors are OK. Both fridge and freezer motors run when tested. The only possible error is the test for on surface sensors (diagnostic test 04) which return -6 and 00 as values, which are not correct temperatures.

I have tried running it on AC only, all motors run but no cooling. I switched it to manually to Gas and same thing... I can hear that the flame is burning and everything runs but no cooling .

My preference is actually fixing the fridge, so if you have any suggestions to try, that would be great. But I am prepared to have it fixed or even replace it with another 1402 or even with a residential fridge. I am in the Houston area, so if you know someone I would appreciated recommendations.

Merry Christmas,

John

John, Check to see if some insulation fell atop the coils at the top of the refer. You need to pull the top vent cover off to get a good look.

Other times I have found large pieces of rubber roof and plywood from the rooftop cutout that wasn't removed properly at the factory that became lodged atop the coils. This of course prevents the heat to escape, which in turn prevents proper cooling. These objects can sit to one side of the refer along time until a good bump jars them loose and they settle atop the coils.

Also I have found large pieces of the rubber roof that was suppose to be cut to the shape of the cutout, dangling down obstructing the airway. If this is found simply remove the excess material.

Have you tried running the refer directly thru the heating element/s ( on a/c only ) while bypassing the temperature controls to check the operation of the cooling unit ?

This will tell you in several hours if the cooling unit is good or not .

Let us know what you find out...........................tim

• 2 weeks later...

Archived