Van conversion and electricity

jan50

I started out considering a cargo van conversion but by the time I added in built ins & solar, I figured I would still have a cramped space with LOTS of things still needed & no money left.

Maybe consider keep the van & get a mini trailer? You might have a hard time recouping your money in a van conversion but a trailer with solar conversion might find many buyers.

Someone recommended to me a Koolatron thermoelectric 12 volt cooler for solar power - I don't remember why not the other main brands but noted to get this specific brand. Something about solar compatibility maybe??

These are recommended as the best 12v coolers -

#1 ARB Fridge/Freezer $1149 - 1 amp- 50# - holds 72- 12oz cans

#4 Koolatron Krusader $200 - 4.5 amps - 15# - holds 80- 12oz cans

Koolatron advertises, "uses less amperage than your car headlights (averages approximately 4.5 amps)" but
both the ARB Fridge/Freezer and Koolatron Krusader can "kill" a standard vehicle battery in a matter of hours.

http://www.bestrefrigeratorcentral.com/12v-refrigerator-top-5-best/

Koolatron Krusader Electric Cooler appx $200 - 52 quart capacity. - Thermoelectric 12 volt cooling system

cools to 40 degrees below ambient temperature and uses state-of-the-art thermoelectric cooling technology

although you may need a 110 V AC adapter for home, office, or motel use.

Note: Koolatron makes some Coolers in China which are only warranted for 90 days. recommend
choosing a Cooler made in North America with a 1 Year Warranty.

--------------------------

The ARB refrigerator is very energy efficient - it uses less than 1 amp of current to maintain temperature. The Koolatron cooler will use about 4.5 amps of power to reach its minimum temperature, which may or may not be as cool as you would like

ARB Fridge/Freezer includes an 110VAC adapter as standard equipment.

The Koolatron should not be exposed to water inside or out,

the Koolatron has a list price of $199. The ARB Fridge/Freezer has a list price of $1149. Both, however, are available at steep discounts if you search online.

Koolatron's square-like 20" x 20" x 15" exterior dimensions appx same as ARB

Koolatron review reads - Product EXCEEDED expectations! Had a Coleman previous with marginal results. This is PERFECT for Pro Drivers. VERY easy on the Batteries and keeps what you want very nice and COLD.

http://www.arkportablepower.com/blogs/news/17779708-koolatron-cooler-vs-arb-fridge-freezer-a-quick-comparison

Jann - If you are still checking in, take a look at this, Rubber Tramp Rendezvous. This is an annual gathering of vandwellers at Quartzite. It was started by Bob Wells, the originator of Cheaprvliving.com. In my opinion, these are the go-to people with van conversions and van dwelling.

It's a ways from NC to the RTR in Q. If you can make it I think you will get all the hands-on help at all levels of $$$ you could ever want or need.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

• 10 months later...

Even though there is a lot I can do on my own, I would never trust myself to try to put together an electrical system. It's just asking for a heap of trouble if you don't know what your doing. In my van I have four 6 volt batteries that I run parallel (12 volts each) As someone mentioned earlier, AGM batteries should never go below 50%. I have a 3000 watt inverter that I rarely use. I usually run most of my appliances on my 12 volt plugs. Nowadays, 12 volt appliances are pretty common. I also have solar extensions so I can attach solar panels to charge the batteries. However, I always keep the batteries charging with 110 power from my house when I'm in town. When I'm on the road, I usually drive enough to keep the batteries charged for a couple of days since the only appliance I constantly run is my compressor 'fridge, which I run off my 12 volt plug.

An AC system is an energy hog, so I purchased a mini swamp cooler. It runs on water. No ice is needed. It's not big, but it throws air at least 10 to 15 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature of the van. The unit at full lasts about six or seven hours. However, it does not cool the whole van. It just shoots cold air where ever it is pointed. Between that and my Fantastic Roof fan, that has a thermostat, I rarely have issues with heat. On hot days, besides using the aforementioned appliances, I make it a point to park in the shade whenever possible. Or, just head up north or to a higher elevation. Every thousand feet is a drop of four or five degrees.

I would rather live like a lion for a day, than live like a sheep for one hundred years.

I would suggest looking at YouTube and search "van camper conversion" or something like that. You will get lots of videos or people doing it themselves but you can use that knowledge for telling carpenters or solar installers what you like or want.

I'd suggest the Honda type small generators for running the AC, just make sure you get one large enough to allow the AC to start up, that's the kicker with making the two work together.

I tried the cooler AC with Styrofoam cooler and a couple bags of ice. I would say it maybe dropped the temp in the Windstar van about 2-4 degrees (van not insulated), It only felt ok when sitting in front of it, Now if you insulated your van and such more than I did then you may get a better result. Both require power for the fan/cooler or a standard AC. I'd just get the AC and a generator.

For the solar there are kits on Amazon you can buy for $500 for say 400w system, then just get someone to do the installation if you can't do it yourself.

Hi, Tim here I'm an Xscaper Planning for FT September 2017. Currently in Austin TX.

event.png

For the solar there are kits on Amazon you can buy for $500 for say 400w system, then just get someone to do the installation if you can't do it yourself.

There are also "suitcase solar" systems for those who don't need a lot of power. You just set these up outside when the sun is doing its thing. A good review of them is here: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/electrical/renogy-portable-suitcase-solar-panel/

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 3 weeks later...

There are conversion vans out there that would fit under the carport. My van has an AC unit on top that would be prohibitive for that, but I have seen others like it without the AC. (You could put an AC on one of the windows instead.) My van doesn't have a generator, but it was an optional feature and there are ones out there that had them. You can see pictures of mine here: http://www.livehoppy.com/everything-ive-learned-about-traveling-in-a-class-b-van-rv/

If you go to http://www.adhuntr.com/ and type in Xplorer, it will come up with some similar to mine that don't have the AC on top. There are other models out there too. Getting something that is already setup is an RV will have so many advantages: windows that already have screens, a bathroom, and more. In my opinion, getting something that is already setup for what you want will be better than the expense of converting something that was designed for entirely different purposes.

Class B, 1984 Dodge Xplorer van by Frank Industries.

Follow my life and travels at my blog, Live Hoppy. :)

In my opinion, getting something that is already setup for what you want will be better than the expense of converting something that was designed for entirely different purposes.

The risk here is getting tanks so small as to be nearly useless. A 9-gallon black tank is very irritating. In my custom conversion I was able to get a 20 gallon black tank that meant I could actually get off in the boonies for enough time to make the drive worth it.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived