Changing Heater Core on Ford F53 2000 Bounder 32h

John Parker

We have a 2000 Bounder 32h motor home on a Ford F53 chassis. I need to replace the heater core. I pulled the kick panel in front of the passenger seat, but I don't know if I can get through the black plastic covers to get to the core. I have called places to have it fixed, but they are warning that it could be an expensive job. They might have to take out the dash or cut through the firewall. Does any have any experience with this?

Thanks.

John Parker

John & Connie Parker
2001 Ford Bounder 33' Motorhome
2016 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 towed
Lifetime Members SKP #96350

John,

You might check with the mfr about access. I have a Winnebago and they said it could be disconnected and the whole unit drop, about three hours labor. Not sure if this will work for you. I think several have dropped (lowered the front end) to access the core without playing with the a/c unit. If not here, try IRV2 website for threads, hope this helps.

Jim

I suggest that you contact Fleetwood customer service. They offer lots of free advice and parts service. All you need to do is supply the VIN number and the Fleetwood serial number and they will look it up and come back with what you need. Their number is 800-322-8216.

Ray

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V

2011 Scion XB toad

Thanks.

Actually, I don't think the part is going to be a problem. It's a Ford F-53 chassis. NAPA and Autozone have both told me they canhave the part in a day or so. Of course, I want to get the old one out first, so I can compare.

I will call Fleetwood on Monday for any advice on how to get to it, but I don't expect anything from them about the how. If I can go around them in buying the part I know I will save a lot of time and money.

Thanks again for the advice.

John Parker

John & Connie Parker

The current Fleetwood company isn't the Fleetwood of old. They have very limited interest in helping the owners of units that were "orphaned" when the doors were shut in the '07/'08 slow-down.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Hey thanks everyone. I found a guy to do it. He had the unit out in about an hour and a half. It was mainly a matter of pulling the right bolts on the firewall and the whole heater came out. But the heater core wasn't in there. It was above it on a bracket on the underside of the dash. But, it was not the nightmare some others have experienced. (He did have to remove the Freon.)

Ray. Thanks for the number to Fleetwood. If I didn't find this guy, I would definitely have called them tomarrow about how to to do it.

However, I was WRONG on the getting the replacement core. It is not the one that comes with the F53 Chassis as Napa had hoped. Only $40. It is a Denso AA16420-0650 in case anyone ever needs this number. Apparently, Denso does not sell these to just anyone. Napa, OReilly, CARQUEST, Autozone, etc., can't get it even with a part number and even though they are listed on Denso's website as dealers. Monday I will try Camping World and some other RV parts places.

If I have to go through Fleetwood I know it won't be pretty. I called them for a side mirror once, and they wanted about 3 times what it cost directly from the manufacturer and a couple of extra weeks to get it too me. That time I was lucky and the manufacturer sold it directly to me.

John & Connie Parker

Go on Amazon.com. Surprisingly, they have a lot of stuff that you would never dream they would have. I just bought a new coolant overflow bottle for our Southwind. Ford wanted $125. I got it with shipping for $50. Probably the company that originally made it for Ford. Dorman Products. Exact part with all the pieces attached to it. Hoses, clamps etc.

Ray

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V

2011 Scion XB toad

Archived